When you join New York Life, you're joining a company that values development, career growth, collaboration, innovation, and diversity & inclusion. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. Through various resources and programs, you can grow your career while developing personally and professionally.
New York Life, the largest writer of retail life insurance in the U.S. and a top player in annuities, long-term care and mutual funds, is seeking a Geospatial Analytics Lead in its Center for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
The company has over 175 years of history and while usable data does not quite go back this far, we have a wealth of internal information on consumers, policies and their performance, as well as applicants, prospects and our 12,000 agents. We also have a multitude of external data from a great variety of sources. We believe New York Life is the most data-rich company in the life insurance industry. Data science challenges range from sales optimization to mortality risk, agent recruiting and retention decisions, consumer analytics (segmentation, response, conversion, retention, up-sell), fraud detection and digital advertising placement.
As the Director of Geospatial Data Science, you would be part of the Center for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, the innovative corporate data science group within New York Life. You would join an entrepreneurial department which aims to design, create and implement state-of-the-art model-driven solutions for multiple areas of the enterprise. Application fraud detection, agent success prediction and client prospecting analytics (off-line and on-line) are among exciting examples of enormous incremental value from data science. Our models are implemented into real-time core business processes and decisions that drive the company (e.g. underwriting, pricing, agent recruiting, prospecting, new product development).
In your role as Director of Geospatial Data Science, you will lead projects that touch every business area that we serve. You will have the freedom to explore and introduce new external data sources and new techniques. This is an opportunity to share and work directly with our business partners and thereby experience firsthand the impact your work has on the business. We have a vast amount of data that is available to us ranging from demographics, credit and geo data to detailed medical data (medical test results, diagnosis, prescriptions) and social media information. We have a modern computing environment with a solid suite of geospatial tools, and a group of well-trained professionals at various levels ready to support you.
This is a chance to apply your spatial data science skills, your high energy level and keen business sense to collaborate with different areas within New York Life on projects such as geographic market opportunity, agent recruiting, prospecting, and many others. You will be expected to lead complex geo-analytics projects and work with our internal stakeholders to develop new projects using geospatial and GIS methods, ingest and wrangle data, propose geospatial analytics strategy, create related business cases, drive several large initiatives, build and implement solutions at scale and give presentations as a subject matter expert.
- Independently leads geospatial data analysis projects from proof of value concept, design, business review meetings with internal and external clients deriving requirements/deliverables, reception and processing of data, performing analyses, developing maps and mapping applications to final reports/presentations, communication of results and implementation support.
- Demonstrates to stakeholders how geospatial analytics can be implemented to maximize business benefits. Provides support, which includes strategic consulting, needs assessments, project scoping and the preparation/presentation of proposals.
- Drives the use of geospatial analytics within New York Life by active internal partnership management, discovering business opportunity and creating business value by executing on high-priority projects.
- Utilizes advanced geospatial / GIS techniques to create advanced and creative geospatial analyses and mapping applications to address business objectives and client needs.
- Works closely with business and technology partners in designing, building and implementing mapping and geospatial solutions.
- Closely collaborates with other data scientists on the team on multi-disciplinary projects, and mentors data scientists on utilizing GIS methods and workflows.
- Proactively and effectively communicates in various verbal and written formats with internal stakeholders on product design, data specification and implementations of GIS projects.
- Partners with technology to problem solve technical issues within the ESRI ecosystem
- Develops scripts and tools for managing data, including designing data standards, structures, forms, and reports within ESRI environment. Formats and generates a variety of GIS products including custom maps and mapping applications. Uses cartographic and design principles throughout the process.
- Maintains, updates and designs shapefiles, geodatabases, and metadata; Extracts, cleans, adjusts and converts data and information from non-GIS systems into GIS formats; Uses scripts, queries, and other tools to obtain and/or correct missing or incorrect spatial and attribute data
- Stays abreast of new trends and technology in geospatial analytics and GIS applications, and insurance industry trends. Functions as the geo analytics expert in meetings with other internal areas and external vendors.
- Assures compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of geospatial projects.
- Travels to events and vendor meetings as needed (< 10%).
- Degree in Geography, Demography, Information Systems, Mathematics, Economics, Finance or other quantitative degrees
- 5+ years of relevant geographic data and GIS geo-analytics experience
- Expertise in the full suite of ArcGIS Products (including Pro, Portal / ArcGIS Online, Business Analyst)
- Ability to create spatial datasets and perform geographic data processes on spatial data
- Experience creating interactive maps and applications in ESRI environment.
- Ability to manipulate data and automate geospatial processes using Python.
- Experience with third-party (Claritas, Acxiom, InfoGroup/Data Axle, SafeGraph) and Census geographic data
- Strong data management, communication, and quality assurance skills.
- Experience producing high quality error-free mapping and data visualization products and analytic deliverables in high-pressure contexts.
- Strong attention to detail and data quality checks.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to manage and report complex information.
- Ability to prioritize and work in fast-paced environment with hard deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, listening and teamwork skills, and effective presentation skills. This is absolutely essential since you will have a lot of exposure to different internal groups (data, IT, Agency, Legal, government relations, etc.) as well as third-party data partners.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic and analytical leadership. Executive presence on high-level meetings. Credible functional expertise in geospatial analytics.
- Substantial programming experience with several of the following: Python, R, PySpark, SQL, Hadoop. Exposure to GitHub, Domino Data Labs.
- Experience with data visualization (e.g. R Shiny, Spotfire, Tableau) is a plus
- Proficiency in creating effective and visually appealing PowerPoint presentations.
Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by our Foundation . We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
Job Requisition ID: 83989