Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer
Reports To: Senior Systems, Network, & Support Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By: Mike Schlottman
The IT Systems Engineer is responsible for the installation, maintenance and operations of the VMWare and Linux systems and applications within the Linux environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. , as well as other duties as assigned.
- Ensures the stability and availability of systems to meet SPEs business requirements
- Monitoring for and predicting capacity and hardware related problems and recommending proactive plan to mitigate the potential problems
- Maintains support contracts for hardware and software
- Coordinates with developers to identify, recommend and implement required resources for new products and applications
- Coordinates with support staff, assisting with identifying and resolving application issues in production and development environments.
- Researches, analyzes and resolves issues which may not be directly related to the operating system
- Ensure all systems meet security requirements, especially those required by PCI.
- Manages system and service security
- Develops and maintains automated processes to deploy, secure, and configure Linux VMs.
- Installs and configures applications such as Tomcat, Apache, MySQL, Subversion, Git and Jenkins
- Manages user access to VMWare and Linux servers
- Creates documentation of configuration and processes where required
- Ensures required backups of all VMs are taken and provides server or file level recover as needed.
- Provides third level support for escalation of systems issues from first and second level support personnel as needed. Third Level support coverage is 24x7, 365 days per year.
- Other duties as assigned.
- VMWare VSphere Administration and Support
- RedHat Enterprise Linux and CentOS system administration
- Experience in configuring Apache web server including redirects, proxies and authentication
- Experience in configuring application servers such as Tomcat with database connections
- A solid understanding of networking concepts
- Must be able to collect and use a network packet trace to help troubleshoot application issues
- Experience configuring and using open source automation tools such as Ansible, Chef or Puppet
- Should be proficient in writing Linux shell scripts to automate repetitive work
- Must have a solid history of managing backup and recovery of enterprise systems
- Some experience in disaster recovery is preferred
- Veeam Backup and Replication a plus
- ITIL certification a plus
The candidate should possess 10 years of experience with progressive responsibility in the IT industry and at least 4 years of managing enterprise servers.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
Excellent organization skills