As the largest healthcare provider in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, MedStar’s 10 hospitals, the MedStar Health Research Institute, MedStar Medical Group, and our other programs and services are recognized regionally and nationally for excellence in medical care. Our associates also provide primary care, urgent care, and home health care services in communities and homes across the region. For patients requiring non-acute care, MedStar operates subacute, assisted living and long-term care services.
Leads all project management aspects of digital engagement initiatives to ensure on-time completion with high quality delivery. Oversees vendor project managers in the execution of project and program activities. Coaches, mentors and leads other project managers and team members through the details and application of project initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, and closing. Mentors project managers on the application of project management and project life cycle methodologies. Leads RFP process for digital engagement initiatives. Facilitates collaboration among technical and non-technical staff. Responsible for the development of appropriate project management related documentation (scope, schedule, cost, quality, issues and risks, etc.), project life cycle related documentation (work product deliverables), and setup and use of project management tools as well as manage all technical resources. Analyzes and Creates business requirements and translates them into detailed project plans, stakeholder approval plans and acceptance criteria.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Computer Science/Information Systems, Health Administration, Project Management; or, a combination of equivalent technical experience and education in a relevant field preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: 5 years of relevant experience in project management.
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: PMP or equivalent project management credential, certification, education, or training preferred.
- SKILLS: Ability to multi-task. Thorough and meticulous attention to minute details. Ability to work independently; develops own plan for how to accomplish tasks and follows through to completion. Superior communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to facilitate meetings and working sessions to meet agenda goals, and to establish long-term professional working relationships with audiences from analysts to senior management. Superior written and presentation skills. Ability to write concise, comprehensive project management and technical documents. Ability to present concepts and multiple, discrete project examples to individuals and large audiences. Proven analytical ability to solve complex business and technical problems. Thorough understanding of web services, data modeling, and enterprise application integration concepts, with the ability to develop and implement processes and methodologies to drive efficiency and productivity within the organization. Exceptional project management and verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment. Ability to learn new concepts and apply them to new situations. Versatile computing skills. Expertise using Microsoft Project or other Project management tool. Training skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicates and distributes information to project stakeholders. Manages project stakeholder expectations with support from MedStar subject matter experts, as needed. Reports accurate project information. Creates project management documents and presentations.
- Creates and presents best practices, standards and training materials related to project management. Stays up-to-date with the latest trends project management.
- Develops and contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
- Develops cost estimates and budgets for projects. Baselines, manages, and controls project costs. Mentors project managers on the application of cost management.
- Develops schedules for projects. Able to identify the type, quantities, and level of effort for resources required, and estimate the duration of schedule tasks. Baselines, manages, and controls project schedules. Mentors project managers on the application of time management.
- Identifies documents, prioritizes, and manages risks according to potential impact on projects. Creates, manages, and executes risk mitigation and response plans on projects. Mentors project managers on the application of risk management.
- Leads business, functional and technical requirements identification for projects. Leads proposal processing and selection process. Leads contract execution and administration. Mentors project managers on the application of procurement management.
- Leads identification of customer quality standards relevant to projects. Balances customer satisfaction, cost of quality, and use of standards. Leads effective implementation of quality activities to ensure project requirements are achieved. Mentors project managers on the application of quality management.
- Leads stakeholder analyses to identify expectations and requirements on projects and programs. Leads the breakdown of programs into projects, deliverables, and associated work. Mentors project managers on the application of scope management. Effectively leads and manages project and program scope through a change control process.
- Leads the definition of project teams, roles and responsibilities, and reporting relationships on projects and programs. Leads project team sessions and provides feedback. Resolves project level issues on projects and programs, and escalates those issues to the appropriate level that cannot be resolved at the program manager level. Mentors project managers on the application of human resources management.
- Leads the development of project, program, and portfolio management methodologies, processes, procedures, practices, templates, and tools for use on projects, programs, and portfolios. Accurately reflects all project and program scope and work into a scheduling tool. Accurately reflects project, program, and portfolio health, progress, and status in a project portfolio management tool. Effectively utilizes a document management system to collaborate on and share project and program documentation. Mentors project managers related to the application of project management tools.
- Leverages discovery driven planning methods to select new initiatives and continuously validate their efficacy.
- Leverages qualitative and quantitative user/market research to translate the needs of internal and external stakeholders into the project plan.
- Manages, leads, and provides oversight to multiple related project and program assignments, and monitors performances of all project participants, including staff, consultants, vendors, etc. Tailors standard methodologies to support program or portfolio needs.
- May assist with formal performance management of and provide feedback to project staff/ project team members. In conjunction with supervisor, assists in the development of measures to improve performance.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides business leadership and portfolio management expertise needed to lead, direct, mentor, direct, and integrate multiple projects and programs across multiple entities or the enterprise.