US Citizens only
Must be able to pass federal background investigation & obtain Public Trust clearance
Must be located in (or willing to relocate to) DC Metro area
The successful candidate will oversee technical implementation activities for a large, U.S. Federal government AWS Customer in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. They will assist the Program Manager with providing technical direction and guidance to the team of JHC engineering resources per USPTO requirements. The candidate will compose AWS CloudFormation Templates for utilization, to ensure repeatable, sustainable AWS infrastructure is effectively managed. The SME will create templates for a multitude of USPTO Line Offices with tools such as Chef, Puppet, Jenkins or other AWS services such as Lambda; standardize deployment activities to support security requirements; provide documentation related to cloud development activities.
The SME will direct the maintenance activities to ensure that the AWS cloud infrastructure is kept in optimal configuration from both technical and budgetary perspectives; they will lead functional escalation support and expertise to the Incident Management Processes involving AWS Infrastructure or related issues; lead input and guidance to personnel and JHC Cloud Engineers and Developers to the overall AWS Architecture and Design tenets. The successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for AWS environmental deployments, tests and document development for both pre-production and production environments. They will maintain availability of critical USPTO AWS Cloud infrastructure, to include configuration changes to USPTO AWS Cloud Services (UACS) shared services, adhere to compliance requirements, PVT, PROD environments as approved and directed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical direction to maintain AWS Cloud Infrastructure in Optimal Configuration from both technical and budgetary perspectives
- Provide technical expertise to the JHC USPTO Functional Escalation Support and Incident Management Processes involving AWS Infrastructure or related issues
- Lead JHC’s efforts to influence the overall AWS Architecture and Design tenets provided by each of the USPTO Line Office Development Teams
- Compose and leverage AWS CloudFormation Templates for utilization, to ensure repeatable, sustainable AWS infrastructure is effectively managed
- Deploy, test and document development, pre-production, and production environments
- Train and mentor Junior Administrators and Engineers
- Lead JHC’s Technical Efforts for USPTO in the following areas:
- Create Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) resources such as subnets, network access control lists, and security groups
- Backup cloud and on-premise resources, including in a hybrid environment
- Leverage resource tagging to allocate costs and optimize resource planning
- Create gold images / AMIs and employ auto scaling
- Configure multi-factor authentication on virtual and hardware devices
- Create IAM users and groups
- Maintain availability of critical USPTO AWS Cloud infrastructure. To include configuration changes to USPTO AWS Cloud Services (UACS) shared services, adhere to compliance requirements, PVT, PROD environments as approved and directed.
- Improve operational capabilities of UACS enterprise infrastructure as approved and directed.
- Maintain availability of production systems deployed into USPTO AWS managed area that are not covered in Project-Related Configuration Support or Prototype Configuration Support.
- Communication, including responding to C3, Alert distributions, support team requests, system business area requests, Customer Executive requests requiring AWS SME-level expertise within 30 minutes of receipt, during business hours.
- Enhance Operational Service Plans (OSPs), Run books, known issues knowledge bases, log defects.
- Minimum Years of Experience: Must have minimum of 4 years of experience in Cloud / AWS Engineering/Architecture with 7+ years in overall technical engineering
- Minimum Education: B.S. Degree in related discipline or equivalent, additional experience
- Must have at least one AWS Professional-Level Certification (Solutions Architect or DevOps) and at least 2 Associate-Level Certifications (Solutions Architect, Developer, SysOps)
- US Citizenship
- Ability to pass a federal government background investigation
- Experience documenting technical requirements
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient at multi-tasking and proactive in work responsibilities
- Superior attention to detail
- Passion for providing great customer service
- Able to understand abstract/complex thoughts and ideas " thinking -outside the box"
- Personable demeanor
- Willing to mentor and foster those who may not understand the technology as well
- Cool under pressure -- USPTO’s AWS Environment is a multi-faceted, multi-line office production environment
- Able to anticipate the needs of USPTO before receiving tasks
- All 5 current AWS Certifications and the willingness and ability to earn new AWS Certifications as they become available
- Solid understanding of Linux and Windows operating systems
- Advanced troubleshooting skills
- Capability in architecture design, system evaluation, system analysis, and infrastructure assessment
- Be proficient in scripting image deployment and bootstrapping
- Experience with AWS CloudWatch and other automation services
- Strong background in Microsoft-based applications
- Maintain account documentation, such as architecture diagrams and portal links.
- Knowledge of databases like MySQL, Oracle, SQLServer, or MongoDB
- Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-intensity, Agile Scrum team work environment and exhibit flexibility as innovation is implemented.
- Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive product improvement
JHC offers full-time team members with a first-class benefits package, including company-paid health, vision, and dental insurance for employee and family, as well as paid time off, 401k, and cell phone and gym membership reimbursement. JHC Technology is a Service Disabled, Veteran-Owned Small Business. We look for innovative engineers that want to push boundaries, especially around cloud. We focus on four key areas: Cloud, Virtualization, Mobility, and Collaboration. We do significant work on Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure, as well as with SharePoint and Citrix. We work in the Federal Government, Commercial, and non-profit space. We work with small organizations that are just getting started in cloud all the way up to enterprise and agency data center migrations. We look for every opportunity to form repeatable and automated processes to streamline work and cost.