Please note that this is a 6 months contract position.
The position of Construction Engineer is within the GEMTE Field Execution Organization and reports to the America’s Field Execution Manager. Key responsibilities of this position are to provide home office oversight of field construction activities in various industrial process technologies, supporting site construction, liaising with procurement and project execution, managing safety, manpower, schedule and cost.
The Construction Engineer is responsible for developing the construction scope and planning and directing the field personnel on construction of projects assigned to them including areas of: construction engineering front-end (constructability) development/strategy, safety, schedule, quality, resource planning, contract administration of construction contracting firms and cost management, and direct management of company’ resources at the site (which follow the day to day activities in the field).
The position targets new construction engineering/management university graduates and will report to senior construction engineers, supervisors, and field superintendents.
Specific Job Duties of this position are:
• Support the bid phase of projects: participate in labor and contractor qualification surveys, develop a construction site estimate, develop overall construction schedule, collaborate with construction estimating
• Review the project scope and incorporate measures needed for a safe project execution. This may include design changes, dedicated site safety supervision, incentive schemes, field representative, or contractor training.
• Incorporating constructability into the engineering and design execution strategies (including package breaks, modularization options, etc.).
• Support procurement process: help define contract strategy (e.g., fixed price, bill of quantity, reimbursable, cost plus fixed fee, etc.), support development of labor strategy (open shop vs. union), assist in defining who should be included on the contractor's bid list.
• Review all bid specification packages and work closely with the project execution team to incorporate changes to the specific scope of work for a contract and ensure the correct standards are include in construction package. Receive input from the field representative if assigned at time of review.
• Work closely with project execution team to develop the site staffing (bringing field representative in the office to help in developing the project, timing for when field representatives will go to the field, selection of the correct field representative for the job, etc.)
• Support the field team: assist the field representatives on contractual issues arising in the field, ensure that issues such as schedule delay, potential claims, authority issues, industrial relations issues, etc., are reported to construction engineering and project execution management in a timely fashion
• Ensure that progress payments, invoices, construction change orders, field purchases, expense reports, time sheets (for the field representatives) are appropriately reviewed and approved
The position requires at a minimum:
• construction engineering or management degree preferred, 4 year engineering or technical degree is a plus
• ability and willingness to travel and spend time at construction sites
• strong commitment to employee involvement, leadership, team building and diversity
Applicants must provide their phone number. Reference job number A1800.