Resp & Qualifications PURPOSE:
Manages Release production implementation activities with cross-functional system development teams responsible for delivering technology products and services funded by the Director’s Office. Span of responsibility covers large highly complex systems and projects. Acts as Technical Program Manager on small to medium size technology delivery programs. Act as a backup for a Technical Program manager and/or Program Directorwhen needed. Ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget and with quality. Facilitates all the system development and testing activities for a given Operations Centertechnology product offering across all statements of work (SOWs) and projects that impact that technology product. Requires a depth of knowledge of managing Release implementations, system development methodologies (waterfall, Agile, Kanban, etc.); understanding of technologies employed at CareFirst; ability to effectively communicate technical information; experience managing a matrix of cross functional teams; and ability to manage multiple competing priorities across all phases of the system development life-cycle (SDLC) for multiple projects within the constraints of the product scope, resources, time, and budget. Requires effective management of the Customer relationship, including ability to manage Customer messaging and issue resolution.PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:Duties and Responsibilities
1. ImplementationProject Management:
This position is a Release Management Implementation Manager role. The Release Management work at CareFirst is expanding to have a grater focus on the enterprise and the planning needs at the start of projects. CareFirst continues to evolve DevOps and Agile Release Orchestration. This position is a key stakeholder in the evolution.
Manages system development lifecycle activities for CareFirst technology product teams, develops detailed task level SDLC plans and directs technology product teams through all phases of the system development lifecycle. Manages development lifecycle activities for all SOWs and projects implementing in each Release to track dependencies, risks, and constraints.
Supports requirements of the program manager to provide necessary information and support for successful program delivery.
Creates all detailed SDLC planning documentation for a given CareFirst technology product team and follows all defined SDLC/Agile and Project Management Lifecycle (PMLC) processes.
Motivates the cross-functional Release team and creates an environment that enables peak performance by the entire matrixed team. Establishes and publishes priorities among the Release activities. Manages functional teams comprised of business analysts, application architects, software engineers, and test engineers, and many other functional areas to assist with the coordination of actions that occur to ensure a successful execution of the approved Release implementation schedule for deploying code to the system/performance/regression/UAT test environments and the production environment.
Establish and publish clear priorities among project activities. Manages implementationtasks and deliverables to meet project milestones on time and within budget.
- Prepares, implements, refines, and manages the implementation project plan.
- Identifies standards or requirements for change management. Participates in change control (for example, reviewing configuration change requests).
- Develops or implements information systems security requirements and plans; and ensures appropriate product-related training and documentation are developed and made available to customers.
- Works with business leads and product teams to define and manage operational readiness.
Works with project tools and reports project status and executive reports as defined by the implementation project plan and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and the Service Benefit Plan Administrative Services Corporation (SBPASC) Contract.
Develops project schedules with the appropriate Work Break Down Structure and identifies the critical path of the project.
Oversees the requirements, design, construction, testing, and implementation of technical and functional specifications for a given technology product in accordance with the approved integrated project plan.
2.Project Monitoring and Control/Risk Management:
Analyze risks, establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating mitigating action. Gather stakeholder input, rank the top projects risks in terms of total impact.
Direct project controller in tracking and reporting on progress to plan, cost and schedule reporting and change control.
Manage change to preserve business plan commitments; initiate review if projects must change.
Communicate risks to program managers, stakeholders and business sponsors, escalate issues and risks for mitigation.
Facilitate regularly scheduled project meetings for the project team, workgroup, executive steering committee, risk planning and change control.
Provide Executive updates and reports to enable Executives to make informed and strategic decisions on project portfolio.
3. Program Management:
Defines and executes the overall approach and strategy for delivering small to medium technology delivery programs. Manages the full project management life cycle and software development life cycle for the implementation of small to medium scale technology delivery initiatives across technology products and services.
4. Budget Management:
Manages the Release Budget with overall budget accountability for up to $10 million per year.
Collaborates with the finance department and various functional managers to ensure project budgets are properly estimated and controlled; provides overall financial recommendations, and develop controls and measurements to monitor progress.
Provides Finance with monthly accruals and forecasts by the due date established by Finance using the tools developed by Finance.
Maintains current statements of work for all contractors; track and approve contractor invoices in a timely manner.
Provides regular updates to project sponsor and stakeholders on the status of the budget.
Documents reasons for budget excess or shortfall.
Manages project budgets for both expense and capital against the original project budget.
5. Miscellaneous other duties, as applicable:
Creates Executive Summaries for all contractor resources required to complete a project
Assists in skills development and training assessments for the Project Manager staff. Provides input on performance feedback for Project Manager staff.
Manages resource assignment and tracking to the project plan and project schedule in coordination with the line of program managers, business owners, and customers.
Negotiate the performance of activities with team members and their managers in a matrix environment.
Coach to clarify assignments and deliverables; mentor others in SDLC project management practices; review quality of work and manage the integration of team members work.
This position is subject to Level 6C security requirements.QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires a four-year degree in CIS/MIS or equivalent experience of 5-7 years of related SDLC project management experience in a large scale, cross functional, multi-system environment. This will be built on a track record of implementing business solutions in core critical technologies in use at the CareFirst in roles from developer through technical lead(Lead Software Engineer or equivalent).Abilities/Skills:
• Experience with Release Management implementations and managing and delivering SDLC projects integrating leading-edge technologies and older legacy technologies
• In-depth of knowledge of system development methodologies; understanding of technologies employed at CareFirst; experience managing matriced cross functional teams
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing priorities across all phases of the system development life-cycle (SDLC) for multiple projects within the constraints of the product scope, resources, time, and budget
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate the development of a WBS in partnership with functional teams
• Ability to lead dynamic, energized, and highly creative multidiscipline high-performance work teams in learning and applying new skills/techniques to respond to business needs.
• Leadership skills including: coaching, organizing, integrating, directing, controlling and motivating.
• Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs.
• Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate and persuade customers, employees, and management at all levels and thrive in a cross-functional environment.
• Excellent oral and written communications; an ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding. Must be able to influence and partner with Functional Managers to achieve not only wins for own objectives and deliverables but also those of the broad organization.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage the Customer relationship, including ability to manage Customer messaging and issue resolution.
• Exceptional project management skills, effectively arranging resources and managing small to moderate projects in a cross-functional environment, workflow balancing, activity scheduling, problem resolution and flexibility, including the use of MS Project and ideally Clarity Portfolio Management tool.
• Ability to analyze project needs and determine resources needed to meet objectives, possess good technical skills including scheduling, estimating and costing
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
• Knowledge of technology product offerings and experience with hardware, software and software development methodologies (waterfall, Agile, Kanban, SCRUM, etc.)is required in order to understand the impact a new project will have on a technology product
• Proficiency in project management planning and estimation tools.Preferred:
Prior Health insurance industry exposure.Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of theCompany to provide equal employment opportunities to allqualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careersClosing Date Please apply before:Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship