Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Medical Science & Computing is searching for a Senior Linux Administrator to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Hands-on provisioning of services, monitoring, upgrading hardware and software, configuration management, and understanding and maintaining peripheral services and software
• Take direction from the team lead and work within a team-environment to achieve organizational goals
• Provide technical solutions to a wide range of problems and user requests through an established trouble ticketing system.
• Develop and maintain custom tools in Puppet, Python, Perl, Ruby, and Bash to automate the UNIX infrastructure
• Install, configure and maintain CentOS and associated applications in an automated Puppet environment
• Perform standard administration tasks (packaging, OS installs, patch management)
• Build open-source software from source code
• Provide UNIX support to NCBI's internal developers and researchers.
• BS in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or a related scientific or engineering field required
• Demonstrated significant experience in Linux Systems Administration (5+ years)
• Comfortable with the Linux or UNIX CLI
• Experience with automated configuration management (Puppet, Chef, etc. Puppet is preferred).
• Highly versed in Linux administration and best practices
• Fluent in programming/scripting skills for automation in at least two of Bash, Ruby, Python, and Perl
• General understanding of Linux internals (system calls, file systems, processes, etc.)
• General understanding of TCP/IP and related protocols (HTTP, FTP, NFS, etc.)
• Comfortable dealing with users with varying levels of IT knowledge
• Experience with building open-source software from source code
• Team player who is nevertheless able to work with minimum supervision.
• Experience in a large, highly available Linux environment
• Experience with version control. (Git is preferred.)
• Experience supporting large web applications environment
• Familiarity with enterprise network architectures
• Familiarity with large, complex Linux environments
• Knowledge of cloud technology such as AWS and GCP
Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.