Senior Big Data Developer / Data Engineer
The Data Consumption team of Data Security & Infrastructure (DSI) is seeking a highly motivated Senior Data Engineer
to start or continue an IT career in GEICO Data Operations division. Teaming up with architects, scrum masters, leads, managers and directors, you will work in an Agile environment to make the data on our Enterprise Data Platform accessible for the needs of the organization. You will be working in a team with Data Architects and Analysts to build our next generation data platform in Azure. You will be trailblazing to apply Software Development techniques such as Automated Testing and CI/CD to building data products. You should be intellectually curious, have a solutions-oriented attitude and enjoy learning new tools and techniques.Qualifications
- 5+ years' experience with Relational Database Systems and SQL, designing, developing ETLs
- 3+ Years of experience working in Azure environment delivering software.
- Experience with Azure Data Products such as ADF, ADLS and Event Hub
- 3+ years' experience with Agile engineering practices and end to end automation of software delivery
- Experience with Data Modeling, source to target mapping, automated testing frameworks
- Developing new and enhancing existing data processing (Data Ingest, Data Transformation, Data Store, Data Management, Data Quality) components
- Strong working knowledge of SQL and the ability to write, debug, and optimize SQL queries
- Bachelor's degree in a computer related field or equivalent professional experience required
- Data engineering experience focused on batch and real time data pipelines development using Spark, Python or Java; Data processing / data transformation using ETL tools, Azure Databricks platform (preferred)
- Experience with Cloud Data Warehouse solutions experience (Snowflake, Azure DW, or Redshift);
- Exposure to Cloud and Distributed Data Storage (HDFS, S3, ADLS, Cassandra or other NoSQL storage systems)
- Experience in Data integration technologies: Kafka, eventing/streaming, NiFi, Azure Data Factory
- Complete software development lifecycle experience including design, documentation, implementation, testing, and deployment
- Familiarity with Data Vault, DataBricks, Fishtown/DBT tool & Graph Databases
Note: The safety of our associates, both current and future, is GEICO's highest priority. At this time, most of our associates are working remotely due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates who are selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area. Once GEICO determines it is safe for associates to return to the office, candidates may be required to work in our Chevy Chase, MD office.Benefits
As a Data Engineer, you'll enjoy our Total Rewards Program* to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
• Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
• Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
• 401(k) Plan with Profit Sharing
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Paid Training and Licensures
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins with the pay period after hire date. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.