Please review the job details below.
Maxar is currently seeking a courageous, innovative, multi-skilled Flight Software Systems Architect to join our Modular Architecture Product team in San Jose or Palo Alto, CA. This role may also be performed remotely. Life with Us
Your Project: In this role, you will help drive new flight software architecture development across agile teams, across the full range of Maxar space products. We are looking for leaders to bravely challenge conventional approaches and lay the foundation for brand new product concepts and enablers focused on cost competitive space products. Our team exemplifies industry leadership: we are a very small, self-contained group of enthusiastic engineers and business people, where everyone wears multiple hats, all ideas are good ideas, and no jobs are too big or too small. This is an out-of-the-box opportunity that requires out-of-the-box solutions and inspired leaders. Along with other members of this dynamic team, you will play an essential role in shaping product strategic roadmaps, and lead or oversee flight software architecture development across multiple development programs. You will be responsible for developing creative solutions to integrate customer inputs and technical requirements with your knowledge of design and production to architect software that that we can build profitably, with an emphasis on designing in sufficient flexibility and scalability to envelope a range of customer needs without requiring substantial NRE to tailor them to each new pursuit.
Your Career: We're very serious about professional development and continuing education at Maxar. We offer our team members the opportunity to define their own career trajectory. Our group has amazing resources to support learning and development. You will work with your manager, or a mentor, to set goals and design a development plan to advance your career. This unique opportunity is a high visibility role on the vanguard of innovation within the company. You will be well-supported by management and colleagues.
What We Offer: Time for dedicated professional development, conference attendance, corporate partner and industry training, peer group collaboration, hackathons, as well as paid certifications, education reimbursement and student loan forgiveness.
Who you will work with: You will be supported by the Product Manager and colleagues, as well as mission architects, systems engineers and subsystem groups to ensure Product development objectives are met. Your responsibilities:
How you will be evaluated:
- Lead the development of a modular software architecture running on a range of hardware controlling all spacecraft functions
- Extract, discover, and discuss stakeholder and customer needs/desires and translate them into actionable requirements and design architectures
- Guide hardware design and supplier selection based on software requirements
- Develop applications that solve challenging spacecraft problems
- Prototype avionics solutions using development hardware
- Incorporate secure networking and communications architectures and technologies
- Maximize the use industry standard operating systems and open standards
- Influencing the shaping of future products by contributing to the framework (architecture) used across multiple products or systems
Your performance will be measured against the Product team's development roadmap schedule and performance milestones for your area(s) of responsibility. What we look for in team members:
As a Product team member at Maxar we expect you to demonstrate the following key qualities at all times: Honesty, Integrity, Loyalty, Curiosity and Courage. These align with the company values:
Put the Mission First, You Matter, Act Like Owners, Do It Right, and Stay Curious. Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be willing and able to obtain U.S. Government Secret or higher security clearance
- R equires a minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or 6 years and a Master's degree; or a PhD with 3 years experience; or 12 years of experience with no degree.
- Experience working cross-functionally within a company and/or with external partners and contractors
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (role is not predominantly travel)
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Experience with embedded software development including multi-processor designs
- Demonstrated experience with abstracting software design to minimize interfaces and complexity
- Experience implementing various software architectural patterns including failover redundancy
- Experience with development integration and functional testing of complex embedded systems
- Experience with ARM-based system on chip architecture
- Experience with real-time OS and real-time applications
- Experience with OS kernel and device driver development
- Experience with Linux and visualization including containers and hypervisors
- Experience with C++ and at least one other common high-level language
- Experience with APIs and IDLs
- Experience with Agile software development practices
- Innovative thought leadership the leverages your cradle-to-grave product experience
- Excellent communication skills along with the ability to effectively collaborate with cross functional teams
- Advanced degree in a technical field
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of organization and attention to detail