The Treasury Services Technology Department is seeking an experienced Senior Specialist Mainframe Developer for what is known as The Bank of New York-s (BNYM) Flex application. The Flex application is a record keeping system that maintains sub-accounting information to support several Asset Account service products, including; Health Savings Accounts (HSA), Retained Assets (RAS), Demand Notes (DN), and Asset Management Accounts (AMA) for many corporate clients under a private label arrangement. The platform maintains account balances, demographic information and facilitates daily settlement, statement production, tax reporting functions, draft book orders and electronic payment services.
The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to be a significant contributor on a globally diverse technology team and will be challenged to identify and execute on solutions for our internal business groups. Additionally, experience working in the financial services industry with demonstrated ability to deliver on concurrent, complex application development projects, will be favored. The primary responsibilities include;
- Performing the design, coding, testing, implementation, and ongoing support of application software
- Directing and/or facilitating the collection and definition of functional and technical requirements with appropriate project stakeholders.
- Directing and/or facilitating the gathering and analysis of information to resolve production support issues.
- Collaborating with business partners to identify, prioritize and implement appropriate solutions.
- Assisting Project/Program managers with understanding and performing their Development Lifecycle (DLC) responsibilities, with knowledge of the Agile methodology being highly beneficial.
- Supporting the promotion of a diverse, inclusive and ethical workplace environment.
- Sustaining an environment that ensures risk management and compliance standards are continually understood, followed and strengthened.
Consults with internal business groups to provide appropriate application software development services or technical support. Provides application software development services or technical support in more complex situations. May also be responsible for requirements gathering and BRD/SRD preparation. Has thorough knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle. Conducts reviews of the test Plan and test Data. May allocate/ coordinate work within a team/project. The job holder leads the technical design, development and documentation of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems. S/he analyzes, defines and documents requirements for data, workflow, and logical processes and interfaces with other systems. S/he also ensures that expected application performance levels are achieved by coordinating, coding, testing, implementation and documentation. Programming well-designed, testable, efficient code. Analyze, design and develop tests and test-automation suites. Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to satisfy requirements and solutions. Maintain software functionality and currency (technical debt and gain). Actively participate in code reviews. Integrate software components into a fully functional software system. Apply security and privacy principles. Execute full lifecycle software development. Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures. Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems. Ensure software is updated with latest features. Participate in deployment process following all change controls. Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing systems and platforms. Provide recommendations for continuous improvement. Active learning engagement. Complete all required mandatory training / policy awareness curricula on time. Use learning tools such as Pluralsight to complete both recommended and aspirational targets set in personal development plans. Demonstrate team work. Leverage existing products/functionality and promote reuse. Work alongside other engineers on the team to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices. Collaborate closely with all the other members of the team to take shared responsibility for the overall efforts that the team has committed to. Collaborate cross-functionally with data engineers, business users, project managers and other engineers to achieve elegant solutions. Utilize local meetups to gain and share knowledge. Compiles documentation written by more senior developers of all procedures used in system. Acts as mentor to junior level engineers. Prior experience with using a specific application development toolkit and knowledge of a mainframe development language required (i.e. COBOL, DB2, CICS) Communications and organization skills; team work skills Contributes to the achievement of area objectives. Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of the following technologies is mandatory: COBOL, JCL, CICS, DB2, MQ Series, Mainframe platform familiarity
- Experience with the following technologies is beneficial, but not mandatory: JAVA, Spring, Angular JS, CSS, HMTL, Git, SQL
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) are required
Bachelor's degree in computer science engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required 7-9 years of experience in software development required; experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus. Job holder must have understanding interdependencies and business impact of future IT plans. S/he must have prior lead experience selecting and implementing vendor-specific methodologies and prior consulting experience with structured methodologies. Extensive experience with developing and supporting mainframe applications required. Job holder must have broad experience with multi-platform development tools and toolkits.