University Required Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary: The Database Administrator is a key person within the Information Technology Enterprise Application Services group. As the Database Administrator, you will be responsible for a diverse database environment. Some of the database types include Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL. These underlying databases support software which include but are not limited to Ellucian Banner ERP, Campus Card System, Research Microscope Usage, Sponsored Research Proposal Tracking and the Bookstore.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
(other duties may be assigned)
- Perform planning, design, installation, configuration, upgrade and migration for the Oracle enterprise databases including support for ASM, RMAN, Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control.
- Perform planning, design, installation, configuration, upgrade and migration for the MySQL database on Linux environment.
- Perform planning, design, installation, configuration, upgrade and migration for the Microsoft SQL Server environment.
- Apply the database portion of application installation and patches as needed.
- Perform daily administrative tasks for all databases supported by Information Technology.
- Support OLTP and data warehouse systems for all University Business systems.
- Resolve database performance and capacity issues as they occur.
- Participate as an active team member to design, maintain, and optimize database driven applications.
- Assist with developing and implementing backup and recovery strategies.
- Must be able to work independently to resolve system issues.
- Create and update database maintenance and change management procedures.
- Provide on-call support outside of regular business operating hours including evenings and weekends.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned or directed.
- Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
- Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures
Bachelor's degree in computer science, management of information systems, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- 5 years experience managing an Oracle database environment
- Experience with a UNIX environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff
- Strong SQL skills, including experience tuning SQL statements
- Effective interpersonal communication skills, with an emphasis on a high degree of customer service satisfaction
- Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment
- Experience applying Quarterly Oracle PSUs and interim Oracle patches within the past 2-3years
- Experience managing an Oracle Database environment
- Experience using RMAN to perform hot and cold backup, recover,and duplicate databases
- Experience using and configuring Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control
- Experience configuring Automatic Storage Management(ASM)
Desirable Education and/or Experience
- Experience upgrading Banner systems
- Experience upgrading ODS and EDW
- Experience in Higher Education
- Experience installing and configuring a new Oracle installation
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
- Experience using SQL to create SQL statements
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required training; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
- Employee Safety Overview
- Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
- Annual Data Security Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.