Security Clearance requires the selected candidate to have resided in the US for the past five years and not have left the country for longer than 90 consecutive days.
The successful candidate will maintain application hosting environments at various data centers and provide hosting services to approximately 300 applications and systems, both internally and externally facing. As a part of the middleware group the individual will be responsible for maintaining and securing the WebSphere application server, Tomcat and OFM environments. The successful candidate must have strong working knowledge and hands-on support experience with Microsoft Windows and UNIX/Linux server operating systems; must lead the development, review and approval of standards and procedures, both operational and functional; and may be required to support different shifts to enable 24x7 support. Must carry a pager and be on call. Limited travel may be required. Automation skills are a plus.
This Sr. Middleware Administrator is a key member of a dedicated Middleware team which performs activities associated with managing, supporting and troubleshooting a large, complex and widely distributed environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Report directly to the Middleware manager.
- Maintain and ensure availability and capacity of Middleware AppServer products and services and support client applications in a large and complex environment.
- Work independently or semi-independently with limited guidance or direction.
- Provide technical leadership in the development efforts that may span multiple USPS and contractor teams.
- Plan and implement the Middleware AppServer environment for all stages of development as well as production.
- Install, support, maintain and upgrade Middleware AppServer products and services.
- Develop and maintain project plans in accordance with client standards.
- Develop, document, and implement procedures that support, maintain and enhance the Middleware AppServer environment.
- Interact with other Postal organizations and individuals, such as developers and end users, to diagnose and resolve problems.
- Diagnose and resolve complex problems in the Middleware AppServer environments.
- Develop growth plans to ensure that the hosting environment is capable of supporting the projected growth.
- Serve as the escalation point for all issues not resolved by the other support staff.
- Develop and implement procedures that support proactive problem detection and avoidance, including disaster recovery planning and implementation.
- Balance hardware, network, software and architecture issues to arrive at a scalable and maintainable solution that meets client requirements for uptime, performance and functionality. Also recommend solutions and alternatives.
- Perform logical and physical appserver design (HA, multi-jvm, and multi-cell).
- Ensure all changes are documented and develop Quality Assurance plans and procedures.
- Perform SSL Certificate management.
- Research new and developing technology and their applicability to the USPS environment.
- 10+ years of directly related computer systems experience
Unique/Additional skills and abilities:
- Expert ability to install, upgrade, maintain and Support Middleware AppServer products and services in a large enterprise environment.
- Strong working knowledge and hands-on support experience with Microsoft Windows and UNIX/Linux server operating systems.
- Expert ability to diagnose and resolve complex problems in a Middleware AppServer environment.
- Excellent ability to develop and implement procedures that support, maintain and enhance the Middleware AppServer environment.
- Excellent ability to develop and implement procedures that enable proactive problem detection and avoidance, including disaster recovery planning and implementation.
- Excellent ability to perform logical and physical appserver design (HA, multi-jvm, and multi-cell).
- Excellent ability to provide guidance, being a resource and functional expert to the developers on JAVA EE server.
- Experience with Middleware AppServer performance tuning.
- Strong working knowledge of Web Browsers.
- Experience with SSL Certificate management for Middleware products.
- Experience with Middleware AppServer monitoring tools such as WebSphere AppServer Performance Viewer and 3rd party appserver monitoring tools utilizing PMI.
- Working knowledge of firewalls, dmz's, and enclaves.
- Working knowledge of problem and change management.
- Willingness to work long and varied work schedules required by this large, diverse and complex production environment.
- Excellent people skills
- Able to communicate effectively in person, in writing and over the telephone in English.
- Excellent project management experience.
- Experience with all phases of application development.
- Experience with one or more scripting languages.
- Experience with IBM Websphere Virtual Enterprise.
- Experience with IBM Websphere Portal.
- Experience with IBM Websphere Commerce.
- Strong working knowledge of OFM.
- Strong working knowledge of Apache TomCat, Apache HTTP Server, and WildFly.
- Experience with Microsoft, Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience with Oracle/DB2 in a distributed environment.
- Experience with TCP/IP.
- Experience with the design of three-tier architecture