Design Engineer-Mid Level
Huntersville, NCCome Make the World With Us!
It takes great people to achieve greatness. People with a sense of purpose and integrity. People with a relentless pursuit of excellence. People who care about making things better For Those Who Make The World™. Sound like you?What You'll Do
Within the Hand Tools & Storage division of Stanley Black & Decker we are currently looking for a Sr. Product Engineer to support the Cutting category. In this position you will be responsible for design, development and manufacturing support of hand tools products and component ideas and concepts that will meet our manufacturing, safety, quality, compliance, cost and marketing objectives. Must estimate development costs and monitor assigned projects through all phases of development. Perform sampling, product testing and documentation including the writing of product performance specifications and test plans. Prepare models, costs, technical data, product documentation and/or initiate requests for model making and testing services. Position involves close coordination with manufacturing, marketing, industrial design and customer base.Responsibilities:
Who You Are
- Work closely with project engineers, fellow engineers, other cross functional team and suppliers to design and manufacture engineering components
- Successfully deliver projects that achieve all quality, performance, schedule and cost objectives in a cross-functional environment
- Work closely with the Program Manager and other team members to ensure that end user needs identified through research are satisfied by the delivery of innovative design solutions
- Utilize the Milestone process to develop and deliver technical design in support of new product development
- Assure all project documentation is accurate and properly maintained
- Recommend sound product design decisions following a thorough analysis of complex data
- Partner with cross-functional teams to identify and clearly define customer requirements, and translate those requirements into appropriate product specifications
- Effectively drive advanced root cause analysis and implementation of corrective actions
- Develop and execute plans for project sample builds
- Lead a team responsive for the technical design responsibility for assigned projects utilizing 2D and 3D design capabilities to deliver technically sound solutions
- Generate 3D Models in CAD (Pro-E preferred, SolidWorks)
- 3D Surfacing experience
- Analyze data to reach sound design/business decisions in complex technical situations
- Lead, Participate and provide feedback in hands-on concept development, prototyping, product
testing and data collection
- Understanding of manufacturing processes -molding, casting, turning/milling, powdered metal, stampings, extrusions and forming
- Identify opportunities to reduce cost and reduce design complexity
- Reviewing patent applications to ensure new ideas are protected and we can design around existing patents
- Writing detailed Product Specifications to ensure compliance during manufacture
- Ensuring that proposed designs comply with global standards and legislation
- Reporting to Senior Management on monthly reviews as required
- Create/develop models, drawings, prototypes, BOMS, cost info, etc and complete necessary product testing.
- Work in coordination with Product Management, Marketing, Operations and Customer Base teams to transform customer input into robust designs.
- Create and publish drawings from CAD models for purchased and manufactured components.
- Develop, document and maintain project tasks and schedules and execute project tasks as required.
- Specify performance testing parameters, execute tests and document compliance with applicable requirements.
- Improve existing products using analytical techniques to better meet customer requirements.
- Investigate cost reduction opportunities within manufacturing facility and optimize product designs to make improvements in manufacturing processes.
- Support and close collaboration with manufacturing plants
You always strive to do a good job...but wouldn't it be great if you could do your job and do a world of good? You care about quality - at every level. You love to learn and grow and be acknowledged for your valuable contributions. You're not intimidated by innovation. In fact, you embrace it. You also have:
What You'll Receive
- Higher degree, BSc / BEng or MSc / MEng Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience in designing consumer products
- Min. 5yearexperience in Pro-E or similar design package for 3D model development following best practices is preferred
- 3-D CAD/CAE & SURFACING exposure and Pro/Engineer preferred.
- Design Experience in a manufacturing environment where a moderate volume of mechanical components are made/used is essential.
- Experience with injection molding, die casting and fabrication methods is preferred.
- Firm understanding of GD&T, tolerance stack-ups, and 2D drawing best practices
- Self-motived, hands on individual with a high degree of creativity and initiative with the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Lateral thinking with the ability to provide robust design solutions for high volume manufacture
- Occasional travel - 5-10% time (if restrictions are lifted, to support product builds)
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills; computer literate
- Ability to direct and work with multi-functional teams through the product development phase
- Familiarity with manufacturing documentation methods (bills of materials, routings and tool lists, etc.)
You'll receive a competitive salary and a great benefits plan:
• Medical, dental, life, vision, wellness program, disability, 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plan, paid time off and tuition reimbursement.
• Discounts on Stanley Black & Decker tools and other partner programs.How You'll Feel
We want our company to be a place you'll want to be - and stay. Being part of our team means you'll get to:
Be part of our global company with 20+ brands to grow and develop your skills along multiple career paths.
• Learn: Have access to a wealth of learning resources, including our Lean Academy, Coursera® and online university.
Experience an awesome place to work, where we have mutual respect and a great appreciation for diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Give Back:
Help us continue to make positive changes locally and globally through volunteerism, giving back and sustainable business practices.
What's more, you'll get that pride that comes from empowering makers, doers, protectors and everyday heroes all over the world. We're more than the #1 tools and storage company and #2 security solutions provider, with a leading presence in engineered fastening. We're visionaries. Industry 4.0 innovators. As successful as we've been in the past, we have so much further to go. That's where you come in. Join us!
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status or any other protected characteristic.