The University of Virginia, School of Medicine (SOM) is seeking a Data Visualization Developer to support its Business Intelligence ("BI") Program under the Chief Data Analytics Officer (CDAO). This initiative provides BI tools and services for the administrative staff and leaders of the School of Medicine to make better and faster decisions, gain new insights, and optimize business processes. In order to deliver these tools and services, this initiative is focused on the creation of an enterprise data warehouse, which integrates data from multiple sources to satisfy the reporting requirements for decision-making. Key Areas of Responsibility
Duties include but not limited to:
- Partner with stakeholders and users to elicit and document business requirements
- Build and deliver wireframes and mockups, while iterating with business sponsors to ensure that planned deliverables will achieve maximum value.
- Create reports and dashboards for specific requirements and solicit feedback from the stakeholders (Tableau/PowerBI); compile multiple visualizations into intuitive business-ready dashboards by following data visualization best practices.
- Develop ad-hoc reports and dashboards or expand on standard reports (Tableau, PowerBI and Excel).
- Manage the analysis of information and identify, interpret, and report trends or patterns found in data sets. Synthesize data analysis by creating graphs, reports, and presentations of results in order to make strategic and programmatic decisions.
- Perform queries utilizing diverse datasets and analyze data quality, document data discrepancies and issues and assess the impact of data quality issues, proficiency in SQL for querying data from multiple data sources.
- Develop written communication materials that effectively summarize findings and support recommendations.
- Have a fundamental understanding of the business requirements and has the expertise to build analytical models to deliver on those requirements; can rapidly explore and model new data sets.
- Create test plans, test cases and tests to ensure the product meets all the requirements.
- Plan, coordinate, execute user acceptance testing of BI capabilities with users and document test results (UI/UX/UA testing).
- Identify ways to resolve issues found during testing.
- Provide training to utilize the BI tools in an effective manner to make strategic and tactical decisions.
- Proficiency in Tableau, PowerBI and data visualization best practices.
- Proficiency in Excel and SQL; working knowledge of various databases, and software programs; working knowledge of data management best practices.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders; ability to provide high-quality customer service, build and strengthen relationships.
- Facilitate group discussions that encourage collaboration, seek diverse opinions.
- Strong problem-solving skills and 'outcome-based' thinking.
- Ability to perform duties independently or part of a team.
- Grasp the University and Health Systems mission, strategic goals and programs. Ability to learn quickly and adapt to a dynamic environment.
- Communicate effectively in a timely manner with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science, business administration, systems engineering, data science, graphic design, or the equivalent applicable training and experience
- Three years of experience in data visualization, data analysis, and report development, performing queries utilizing diverse datasets.
The ideal candidate will have PowerBI in addition to Tableau and Excel; Imaging tools such as Adobe Photoshop, and experience with the implementation of data warehouse projects; working knowledge of Alteryx; experience in the implementation self-service BI tools.
This position is eligible for a full or partial remote work schedule. A partial remote schedule would include three days per week in the Charlottesville office and two days per week from a remote location. Fully remote candidates will be required to attend several days of onboarding activities in Charlottesville at the commencement of employment and will be required to attend in-service activities in the Charlottesville office several times per year.
This is a restricted position; continuation is dependent on funding and satisfactory performance. Priority review of applications will begin on November 22, 2021, but the positions will remain open until filled.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physicians Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.