Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees. Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak.SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Lead Business System Analyst (BSA) is responsible for interfacing with stakeholders in both the business and IT to help align technology solutions and/or processes with Information Technology and business strategies. Demonstrates and applies an informed, if not advanced, knowledge of accepted business analysis practices and methodologies. Assesses business process improvement opportunities utilizing a structured requirements
process (gathering, analyzing, documenting, and managing changes) to assist in identifying priorities. Collaborates closely with business partners to identify improvement opportunities that can be realized through technology solutions and works with the business to define, analyze and document associated requirements. Takes approved projects through the full systems implementation lifecycle including business requirements, functional specification, testing, deployment, and support hand-off.
The Lead Business Systems Analyst will support IT Capital Planning (Project Portfolio Management), Project Management Governance, and reporting. A successful candidate must have expert level of data analysis and communication skills, great attention to details, and a can-do attitude. Process mapping and automation experience using Microsoft suite of tools, such as Teams and Power Automate is strongly preferred.KEY RESPONSIBILITY INCLUDE:
- Perform portfolio trending analysis, project financial, project status and executive reporting.
- Conduct expert level data analysis working with large amount of data sets to quickly extract insights.
- Provide project management standard, governance, audit, and training support.
- Collaborate with all levels of stakeholders within IT and with peer organizations such as Finance and the Enterprise Project Management Office.
- Maintain SharePoint sites, tools, templates, and identify process automation opportunities.
- Collect, consolidate, and cleanse project performance data from various sources.
- Perform quantitative analysis to understand project/service performance.
- Develop and maintain various systems of records, lists, reports, and presentations.
- Develop project management templates, tools, job aids, and other knowledgebase documentaries.
- Support project delivery teams on project stage gating, governance, and other processes to ensure compliance with audit requirements.
- Identify continuous process improvement and automation opportunities to increase accuracy and efficiency.
- Document current and future state business processes.
- Support project capital planning and business case development and prioritization.
- May need to run reports from SAP/BPC financial system to facilitate monthly reporting and project spend tracking.
- Translate business objectives into various reporting views and presentations to facilitate project tracking and monitoring.
- Support the creating and maintenance of project management best practices, tools, and ways for Amtrak to drive efficiency in order to reduce costs and add value.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management, Systems Engineering or other related field plus 6+ years relevant work experience or 10+ years of relevant work experience required to satisfy education and experience requirements.
- Experience with IIBA guidance and approach to requirements development/management
- Must have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and the capability to present confidently at various levels from project teams to Executive leadership
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills, works well with others in an integrated team environment, and must be self-motivated
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Broad knowledge of multiple computer environments, platforms and technologies and in-depth knowledge of the enterprise's products
- Solid experience and proven track record facilitating, defining and documenting business process maps (swim lane format preferred), business/functional requirements, use cases, user stories, technical specifications, test plans, test cases, test scripts, and test results
- Experience serving as a liaison between IT and business stakeholders
- Strong experience with packaged software and enterprise solutions
- Broad knowledge and experience with a variety of collaboration, requirements, testing and support methodologies
- Knowledge of Key Performance Indicator reporting and industry best practice/industry benchmarks
- Experience with Agile methodologies (SCRUM/SAFE) and techniques
- Ability to create and document Amtrak's Project Life Cycle Management (PLM) artifacts and key process steps
- Experience with standard business process notation such as BPMN
- Demonstrated experience in COTS or packaged software implementation and integration projects.
- Ability to translate technical issues to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to do general troubleshooting for existing information systems or desktop applications to identify errors or deficiencies
- Experience facilitating the sourcing and selection process for third-party software and other technology components and services including drafting Request for Proposals (RFPs), Work Requests/Statements of Work (SOWs), and Request for Information (RFI), and facilitating the scoring and selection of products/vendors
- Solid skills in Microsoft Office 365 including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Project, and Visio
- Solid skills and experience with BA tool sets including Jira, Confluence, Tableau and HP Quality Center
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management, Systems Engineering or other related field plus 8+ years relevant work experience
- Business Analysis certification from IIBA, IQBBA or PMI (PBA, CBAP or equivalent)
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) qualification
- System and or platform certifications, as appropriate.
- Experience with Lean, Six Sigma or other process improvement methodologies
- Project management experience
- Experience in travel, hospitality or transportation industries
- May require travel up to 10% of the time
- Requires on-call status
- After hours and periodic shift work may occasionally be required
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
110708 Posting Location(s):
District of Columbia Job Family/Function:
Information Technology Relocation Offered:
No Travel Requirements:
Up to 25% Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology