The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves. We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.
The Embedded and Specialized Computing Department is seeking a Specialized Embedded Engineer interested in building leading edge software and hardware prototypes. These prototypes and the associated lessons learned are used to make recommendations for government missions. Members of this group provide design and implementation support to a wide range of customers including the Space Force's Space Systems Command (SSC), the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), and other civil customers (e.g. NASA).What You'll Be Doing
What You Need to be Successful
- Implement specialized embedded compute products focused on AI at the edge, security, and/or small satellites.
- Take ideas from the drawing board to custom brass board demonstrations in relevant environments using a variety of technologies.
- Perform research, prototyping and hands-on development to solve unique challenges for both internal and external customer missions.
- Constantly learn and grow through new work opportunities, trainings, and mentorship from experienced staff.
Minimum Requirements for Specialized Embedded Engineer (Associate Member of Technical Staff):
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university in electrical engineering, computer science, or another related discipline
- 1 or more years of relevant experience in software programming and/or embedded systems.
- Familiarity with the Linux platform as both user and developer: tools, application development workflow, system programming.
- Familiarity with laboratory tools such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, power supplies, and multimeters.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Minimum Requirements for Specialized Embedded Engineer (Member of Technical Staff):
How You Can Stand Out
- All of the above minimum requirements for Associate Member of Technical Staff
- 2 or more years of relevant professional experience in software programming and/or embedded systems.
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- Understanding of real-time, embedded, size and power constrained systems. Linux system bring-up a plus, e.g., U-Boot and Linux customization on Xilinx Zynq or microsemi FPGA boards.
- FPGA Development and HDL (Verilog, VHDL) experience.
- Working knowledge of firmware development (baremetal or RTS) on Arm Cortex-M/R/A microcontrollers or SoCs.
- Experience with AI at the edge or AI with constrained resources, e.g. use of quantization in neural network applications.
- Working knowledge of typical hardware interfaces: I2C, SPI, GPIO, UART, etc. Working knowledge of typical subsystems (e.g., eMMc, raw NAND, etc.) and associated system level software integration.
- Working knowledge of typical networking stack and architectural principles: Ethernet, TCP/IP suite, HTTP, web services, e.g., REST.
- General background familiarity with web technologies: databases, SQL, front-end frameworks, e.g., Angular/React/Ember/Backbone/Bootstrap.
- Familiarity with distributed (edge) computing.
- Working knowledge of ROS.
- Experience with Agile development (Jira/Confluence/Scrum)
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement