Principal Software Engineer (Python) - Data and Analytics, Applications
Can be based in NJ, NY, or MA
BNY Mellon Data and Analytics Solutions is a public- and private-cloud-based software and content offering that builds client-centric data, technology, and content capabilities. Operating with the skill and agility of a fintech, Data and Analytics Solutions combines the expertise and resources of the Eagle product suite, Intermediary Analytics, and other BNY Mellon technology and data assets.
We are leveraging our Business Applications to provide clients insights and analytics (e.g., pre/post trade performance and risk, investor analytics, custom indices). For this initiative, we are seeking Full-Stack Software Engineers to join our Scrum teams and focus on creating cloud-based solutions in the AI, Big Data, and Machine Learning space.
• Expert developer in Python, knowledge of Ruby, PHP or others for context
• Comprehensive understanding of advanced data structures, linked lists, trees, cyclic direct graphs and the associated algorithms and efficient implementation strategies including representing these structures in relational databases
• Understands database structure and connectivity with Python - using ORM and other techniques for performant data management
• Comfortable with API interfaces of all kinds: asynchronous queue based, files and the traditional RESTful model
• Role will require extensive use of publish/subscribe, loosely coupled, asynchronous, queue based architectures so use of this is a must
• Experience with building compilers or interpreters to support domain specific languages is a plus
• Knowledge of languages other than Python, is a plus
• Deep knowledge of securities, classifications, positions and transactions is preferred
• Investment industry knowledge is a plus
• Needs to have worked in Agile, automated code assessment and extremely comfortable with TDD at 100% coverage requirements as well a detailed code reviews by peers
• The applications team at D&A operates on a distributed basis even in non-pandemic situations, so comfortable with interacting with team members in different time zones, cultural norms and practices
• Needs to act as the engineering lead and mentor for more junior staff - no administrative or management responsibilities
• Open to the fact that D&A is pushing the envelope in areas where the Street has historically not done well in scale and neither has BK.
• World class software engineering is also an art and an engineering discipline, consequently D&A looks for beautiful which is being written for the successors who will end up maintaining it for a decade or two into the future
Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required. 8 + years of experience in systems analysis and program development with related supervisory, management and administrative experience required, experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus.