Research Scientist - MaterialsDo you enjoy being part of a successful team?Would you like the opportunity to develop your career with a global energy technology company?Partner with the best
The Research Scientist will provide expertise in polymer/compound material research. Primary emphasis will be on modeling, laboratory analysis, compound development, and testing of polymer compounds. The individual will also be responsible for developing qualification methods to certify the application of polymers/compounds in commercial oil field environments. The position will support initiatives in the area of new product development for a wide array of artificial lift products.
As a Research Scientist, you will be responsible for:
Fuel your passion
- Performing materials analysis for product development and support with emphasis on scientific understanding of structure-property relationships, failure analysis, design of manufacturing processes and reliability analysis
- Working independently and in a cross-functional team, delivering project presentations, and able travel to vendors and universities
- Conducting hands on work in a manufacturing or lab environment including interacting with operators and technicians
- Serving as the Lead Scientist on projects with some functional supervision
- Conducting work with minimum supervision, conferring with superior on unusual matters
- Leading and mentoring entry or junior level personnel
- Leading project planning and review efforts
- Participating in customer interface with or without team leader
- Selecting scientific techniques to solve problems and makes sound recommendations
- Assessing results for applicability, validity and conformance to specifications
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Master's Degree or higher in Material Science with a focus in polymers with 5+ yrs of experience
- Subject matter expertise with polymetric analysis using DMA, TGA, FTIR and DSC
- Demonstrated understanding of polymer science, manufacturing processes, analytical characterizations and measurement techniques.
- Versed in selection of polymers used in oil & gas, automotive, aerospace, marine or similar industries
- Working knowledge of modeling, simulation, and testing techniques for polymers with a focus on characterization, performance, and service life
- For Elastomers and Rubber chemistry, the qualified candidate should have education, knowledge or experience within the polymers and compounds as follows: EPDM, NBR, HNBR, FKM, and or FFKM.
- Experience and or knowledge with the following Engineering materials: PEEK, PEAK, PPS, PTFE, PFA, FEP, and or PVDF
- Proficient use of Microsoft office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong communication and project management skills
- Demonstrated expertise in written communication and white paper development
- Ability to build peer relationships as well as work independently
- Must be action-oriented, ethical in value, and have a strong customer focus
- Experience and or knowledge of Ceramics, Epoxies, and HT coatings is a plus.
- Familiarity with processes used in polymer manufacturing, compounding and component manufacturing
- Experience with metal-elastomer bonding systems and characterization
- Familiar with oil and gas environments
- Ability to develop material models that can be applied in finite element analysis
- Ability to utilize methods such as DOE to develop material models for physical characteristics, degradation and performance
Working with us
- Well versed in all lab functions with expertise in analysis of material properties obtained through various testing protocols including Thermal Analysis and or other aging or life prediction methods.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skill set executed against multidimensional challenges
Our people are at the heart of what we do at Baker Hughes. We know we are better when all of our people are developed, engaged and able to bring their whole authentic selves to work. We invest in the health and well-being of our workforce, train and reward talent and develop leaders at all levels to bring out the best in each other.Working for you
Our inventions have revolutionized energy for over a century. But to keep going forward tomorrow, we know we have to push the boundaries today. We prioritize rewarding those who embrace change with a package that reflects how much we value their input. Join us, and you can expect:
- Contemporary work-life balance policies and wellbeing activities
- Comprehensive private medical care options
- Safety net of life insurance and disability programs
- Tailored financial programs
- Additional elected or voluntary benefits
With operations in over 120 countries, we provide better solutions for our customers and richer opportunities for our people. As a leading partner to the energy industry, we're committed to achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and we're always looking for the right people to help us get there. People who are as passionate as we are about making energy safer, cleaner and more efficient.Join Us
Are you seeking an opportunity to make a real difference in a company with a global reach and exciting services and clients? Come join us and grow with a team of people who will energize and inspire you!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees, customers and the communities in which we operate, this role requires full vaccination for COVID-19 prior to beginning work.About Us:
With operations in over 120 countries, we provide better solutions for our customers and richer opportunities for our people. As a leading partner to the energy industry, we're committed to achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and we're always looking for the right people to help us get there. People who are as passionate as we are about making energy safer, cleaner and more efficient.Join Us:
Are you seeking an opportunity to make a real difference in a company that values innovation and progress? Join us and become part of a team of people who will challenge and inspire you! Let's come together and take energy forward.
Baker Hughes Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.