XUMO is looking for a highly motivated Sr. Engineer
to join XUMO's technical solutions and integrations team. Reporting to the Head of Technical Solutions, the Sr. Engineer, Live Streaming Technical Specialist will be responsible for multiple facets of a video streaming workflow from real-time ingestion and broadcast of live streams from top-tier broadcasters around the world through to players and software clients. This includes video encoding, linear ad insertion, CDN integration. XUMO is seeking a candidate that has deep and broad knowhow of streaming technologies, and is familiar with modern OTT streaming protocols. This role does include running some live events and streams outside of office hours and is ideal for those with flexibility around traditional office hours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting existing live streams and events from over 200 different channels, maintaining quality throughout the broadcast airchain.
- Onboarding new feeds and streams from traditional television broadcasters & digital content partners for distribution to OTT audiences. A successful candidate would be expected to communicate best practice, while appreciating and understanding the business and technical constraints in which XUMO's partners operate.
- Identifying ongoing systematic improvements to maintain XUMO's excellent reliability and best-in-class audience experience.
- Overcoming challenges through innovative and imaginative solutions.
- Monitoring and debugging where necessary, using data to identify trends as well as subjective and objective quality assessment, with the goal of highlighting areas for further improvement.
- Promptly reacting to the unique challenges of live events.
- Capturing and replicating issues for further investigation and latter improvement.
- Leading technical conversations and communication with external parties, including content partners, distribution partners and suppliers. Communications are expected to be timely, professional, polite and courteous, for both proactive and reactive issues.
- More than 5 years' experience of video broadcast and streaming systems, with specific expertise with HLS.
- A passion for the quality of audience experience, with excellent attention-to-detail
- Critical thinking and a strong approach to technical analysis and debugging.
- Experience with live-broadcast and linear encoding systems in a professional environment is essential.
- Experience with SCTE-35 & HLS ad-insertion systems.
- Understanding the professional broadcast protocols, including MPEG-TS and RTP. Experience with Zixi, Elemental MediaConnect and Secure Reliable Transport is of benefit.
- In-depth experience with the FFmpeg suite of tools. Experience with AWS Elemental Media Suite or similar would be beneficial.
- A thorough understanding of the key components in a modern streaming ecosystem, including ad-serving systems, origin servers and CDNs.
- Confidence using command-line tools (eg Bash, scripting).
- Experience of mySQL to gather ad-hoc data.
- Experience of DASH would be beneficial.
- Experience of DRM would be beneficial.
- Understanding of security best-practices.
XUMO's head office is in Orange County, California. As part of its corporate responsibility to both staff and the wider society, XUMO is currently operating under a temporary remote working initiative and distributed virtual networks operation center to support the prevention of spread of COVID-19. Candidates should be comfortable remote working and video conferencing during the short term, with an eventual goal to return to a full-time office-based environment.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer