Join a team that puts its People First! Since 1889, First American (NYSE: FAF) has held an unwavering belief in its people. They are passionate about what they do, and we are equally passionate about fostering an environment where all feel welcome, supported, and empowered to be innovative and reach their full potential. Our inclusive, people-first culture has earned our company numerous accolades, including being named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For list for six consecutive years. We have also earned awards as a best place to work for women, diversity and LGBTQ+ employees, and have been included on more than 50 regional best places to work lists. First American will always strive to be a great place to work, for all. For more information, please visit www.careers.firstam.com.Job Summary
**Local Santa Ana, California candidates highly preferred, Open to Remote Locations* Team's Mission
Collaborate with the Executive Steering Committee, Product Management Team, Engineering Team, & Rollout Team to ensure product solutions meet the mission requirements set by the Executive Steering Committee.
As an experienced hands-on Engineering Manager, you will manage a team of 10-15 engineers operating in small squads of 4-5 engineers and work directly with Product, Research and Design teams as well as customer stakeholders and technical leads to build complex custom software applications.
The Engineering Manager is the principal leader of the engineering team who is responsible for ensuring engineering output meets the highest of quality standards and that the team continues to thrive, grow, and continuously improve.Requirements
- More than five years managing, mentoring and growing teams of software engineers
- Proven track record of building teams that deliver complex software on-time and in-budget
An ideal candidate will have a demonstrable understanding and/or hands-on experience with most of the following technologies:
Web & Platform
Responsibilities and Duties
- Cloud technologies such as EC2, NLB, S3, Lambdas in AWS
- CI/CD and DevOps process.
- Web Technologies
- ASP.Net MVC
- Soap, restful services
- .NET Core
- .NET Framework
- SQL & No-SQL databases
- Monitoring tools (App Dynamics, Splunk, AWS Xray, CloudWatch, others...)
- Security scans (Veracode, Rapid7, others...)
As an engineering manager supporting the development of an existing mission critical product with a goal of stability and availability, you are responsible for: Strategy and Consulting
Hiring and Training
- Run and / or participate in product ideation and discovery process.
- Work with your team to choose the tools, architecture, and platforms used to deliver client products.
- Define quality standards for client products.
Managing and Directing
- Attract, nurture, coach, and retain talent.
- Ensure every assigned engineer has a career progression plan with regular check-in points and real-time feedback.
- Ensure engineers are provided with continuous and valuable learning opportunities.
- Contribute to determining engineering salary ranges and adjustments.
- Contribute to defining and building the vision for our engineering organization.
- Contribute to defining quality standards for our work.
- Contribute to creating training and learning material and opportunities for engineers.
- Responsible for secure engineering
Engineering and Delivery
- Talk to engineers to tease out concerns early, then fix them when possible.
- Resolve conflicts or performance problems with engineers.
- Embody the engineering culture and contribute to its advancement, inspiring everyone to live up to it.
- Maintainer and contributor to our company engineering internal and public artifacts such as our quality standards and guidelines.
- Represent the engineering organization with other departments and ensure we provide engineering support wherever necessary in the company.
- Support team happiness
- Responsible for the quality and quantity of the engineering output.
- Responsible for the continuous, iterative improvement of our engineering team.
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects.
- Work closely with product management team to ensure we're building the best products.
- When necessary, act as Programmer, QA, Architect, PM, etc for short periods of time.
- Ensure high availability, scalability, stability, quality incorporated into the engineering processes.
First American invests in its employees' development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Based on eligibility, First American offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k, PTO/paid sick leave and other great benefits like an employee stock purchase plan.