Due to COVID-19, this position will be partially or completely remote for the time being. Eventually, the position will be on site.
Provides engineering expertise across the full lifecycle of the database and application server related systems provided by the Database Systems group. Provides enterprise databases, application servers, and related services and solutions. This includes but is not limited to OLTP and OLAP database management, data feeds and integrations, backup and data protection, database replication, user management, and application server administration.
1. Implements the full lifecycle of enterprise database and application server related systems, services, and solutions, ensuring their quality, stability, recoverability, and security
2. Maintains automation solutions and scripts to automate complex database and application server management tasks across multiple environments.
3. Diagnoses and resolves complex problems across large multi-system environments.
4. Develops and maintains documentation of systems, services, processes, and procedures
5. Participates in the research and analysis of upcoming technology trends to identify opportunities for recommending improvements and new initiatives
6. Provides on call support responding to incidents on nights and weekends
7. Reviews and validates changes for impact on database security and integrity posture
8. Assists application developers and functional users with database problems and requests
9. Serve as a resource on a variety of database integration issues, including migration between disparate databases, data conversion, capacity planning and new application deployments
Bachelor's in from an accredited institution of higher education Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or related field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
Five (5 ) years of related IT experience demonstrating a progression of dealing with increasingly complex systems including one (1) year of experience running mission critical systems
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Must be aware of current technologies, and industry best practices for their areas of responsibility
Previous years of experience with tuning database queries to improve performance
Previous years of experience working in higher education
Able to function with autonomy, making sound and timely decisions as appropriate, and using good judgement to determine which decisions should be escalated
Able to diagnose and resolve problems
Able to design, analyze, evaluate and implement complex enterprise database and application server related systems, services, and solutions
Able to anticipate problems and proactively develop appropriate solutions
Able to appropriately assess and communicate risks, benefits, and alternatives
Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
Extensive knowledge of database infrastructure operations
Must be well versed in current and emerging technologies, technological trends, and industry best practices for their areas of responsibility
In-depth knowledge of database design, backup and recovery, database replication, and database integrity and security management
Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.