Role: Cloud Architect
Duration: 3-6 month CTH
Location: (Portland, OR, Las Vegas or Reno, NV, SLC, UT, Des Moines, Bridgeport) or remote
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Job Function)
The cloud architect is responsible for advancing cloud computing initiatives within the organization. This position will provide thought leadership on cloud strategy and define an architectural vision for cloud across business and technical dimensions. The role also directs the architectural aspects of cloud brokering and governance across all aspects of IT and the business. The cloud architect must be a great collaborator, empowering and connecting with other architecture roles within the organization as well as developers, IT operations, and enterprise security.
- Provide thought leadership on how cloud computing can be used to advance digital transformation and create a platform for innovation, agility, and application modernization. Promote the adoption of cloud computing by defining cloud platform strategy, formulating architecture, establishing governance, and leading the cloud center of excellence (CCOE).
- Develop and coordinate cloud architecture while working across disparate areas of the organization, including application development, data and analytics, infrastructure and operations, enterprise integration and enterprise security. Lead the development and delivery of enterprise cloud strategies, architectures and designs that align with business and IT objectives. Provide leadership in infrastructure migration methodologies and techniques including application movements into a hybrid cloud environment. Architect and design a comprehensive set of enterprise management processes, tools, integrations, and processes to run the cloud systems at scale. The effort will closely align with the organization’s cloud engineering and cloud operations teams.
- Advance cloud computing expertise internally to drive adoption of cloud technologies. Lead complex technical projects supporting technology decisions and standardizations. Provide well-documented architectural patterns, standards, detailed designs, and diagrams. Lead the architecture and design review of critical systems designs and provide technical guidance during the selection and implementation process. Perform feasibility analyses on current and potential future projects.
- Perform evaluations of cloud technology standards, tools, products, and solutions, and work closely with business and technology stakeholders to make rational design decisions considering known dependencies and trade-offs.
- Stay current on vendor product roadmaps and maintain escalations points with key vendors to ensure a consistent focus on the technical roadmap and future technology enhancements. Analyze and test new technology trends validating the impact to cloud strategy and reduction to overall TCO. Perform research of new technologies and make recommendations to organizational management on new solutions.
Bachelor’s degree in information systems, computer science or related technical field or equivalent work experience. (Typically, 5 years of additional related, progressive work experience would be needed for candidates applying for this position who do not possess a bachelor’s degree.)
Ten years of experience with implementing and running large scale, distributed, highly available, fault-tolerant, multi-tier applications environments running on both Windows and Linux.
Seven years of architecture and solution design experience, with strong engineering background in data centers, virtualization, networking, and storage (both traditional and software defined).
Deep knowledge of public cloud technologies (Azure, Oracle, AWS, VMware, Google, etc.)
Robust understanding across cloud and infrastructure components (server, storage, network, data, and applications) to deliver end-to-end Cloud Infrastructure architectures and designs.
Demonstrated knowledge of Cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, automation & orchestration, elastic scalability) and ability to articulate the technical merits and value of Cloud computing.