In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.Responsibilities
We are seeking Optical Communications Engineering Specialists. These positions are in El Segundo, CA supporting a wide variety of Government customers and organizations. We provide systems engineering, analysis, modeling, simulation, and hardware engineering support. These positions will be responsible for providing support in one or more of the areas of support.
When you join our Optical Communications Office, you become part of a dedicated group of Optical Communications systems engineers and hardware specialists who play a key role in guiding and strengthening the future of our National Security Space Optical Communications capabilities. Our unique position as a consultant to our customers allows you to have an immediate and significant impact in driving national technical directions and decisions. The knowledge brought to bear on these challenges is backed by your optical communications systems engineering, modeling, simulation, and/or hardware engineering efforts and validated in our growing optical communications laboratory. Let's link up!
Selected candidates work independently with both internal and external customers and with technical support, as a technical authority, consultant, primary investigator, or project leader. Optical Communications Engineering Specialists may lead or organize technical efforts or project teams. Interfaces between customers and Aerospace technical and management staff. Engineers may mentor less experienced MTS and serve as role model.Key Function
- Provide technical support in satellite optical communications to internal and external customers as a technical authority, consultant, primary investigator, or project leader.
- Conduct specialized technical studies in lasercom related activities and report findings.
- Initiate the development of advanced analytical techniques, concepts, and/or design criteria for subsystems related to lasercom.
- Support multiple programs or activities and act as a point of contact for lasercom-related technical activities.
- Initiate studies designed to solve new technical problems and provide new optical communication and photonics technical solutions and perform long-range technical studies and report findings.
- Participate in lasercom system design and engineering activities.
- Develop, prototype and test lasercom modem backend processing algorithms and coding and framing structures.
- Degree from an accredited university in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optical Sciences, or another related technical field
- Exhibits high level of innovation, creativity, and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers
- 5 or more years of experience in roles of increasing responsibility in engineering/scientific areas related to optical communications, satellites, and/or space systems engineering
- Experience with systems engineering support in space systems
- Experience with design and development of communication systems and elements
- Experience with photonics components and optical communications
- Experience in developing embedded systems including FPGA-based solutions
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SSBI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. Government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain this level of security clearance
Equal Opportunity Commitment
- Master's or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optical Sciences, or another related technical field from an accredited university
- 8 or more years of experience in roles of increasing responsibility in engineering/scientific areas related to optical communications, satellites, and/or space systems engineering
- Experience with lasercom modulation formats and physical and data link layer coding
- Experience in developing embedded systems including FPGA-based solutions for physical and data link layer processing related to optical communications
- Experience with systems engineering support in optical or lasercom space systems
- Current Secret or Top Secret clearance with SSBI or periodic reinvestigation completed within the last 5 years that resulted in clearance granted or maintained
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone ator by email at
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
poster and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement