SHIFT: Day Job
Your Talent. Our Vision. At Anthem, Inc., it's a powerful combination, and the foundation upon which we're creating greater access to care for our members, greater value for our customers, and greater health for our communities. Join us and together we will drive the future of health care.
This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovative work that means more to you and those we serve at one of America's leading health care companies and a Fortune Top 50 Company.
The Principal Data Scientist leads the development and implementation of predictive modeling algorithms and techniques to solve business problems and optimize member experiences. Serve as the methodology-expert on the team and provide guidelines to team for applying appropriate algorithms or solutions to approach different data challenges. Coach junior team members on various data science techniques. Keep abreast of the latest enhancements and innovations within the areas of data science and big data processing. Primary duties may include but are not limited to:
- Lead the design & execution of predictive modeling projects to address specific business problems determined by consultation with business partners.
- Provide guidance to the team on working with data-sets of varying degrees of size and complexity including both structured and unstructured data.
- At the expert level, piping and processing massive data-streams in distributed computing environments such as Hadoop to facilitate analysis. Leads batch and real-time model scoring to drive actions.
- Leads the development of proprietary predictive modeling algorithms to build customized solutions that go beyond standard industry tools and lead to innovative solutions.
- Leads communication and publish results and address constraints/limitations with business partners.
- Determines the continuous improvement opportunities of current predictive modeling algorithms.
- Proactively collaborates with business partners to determine identified population segments and develop actionable plans to enable the identification of patterns related to quality, use, cost and other variables that have a broad impact.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, Econometrics, Physics, Biostatistics or related Quantitative disciplines and 7 or more years' experience in predictive analytics or equivalent.
- Must have advanced expertise with software such as Python, R, SAS, SAS Enterprise Miner or equivalent, or any combination of education and experience which would provide an equivalent background.
- Experience leading end-to-end data science project implementation including training, testing and deploying machine learning models in production environments.
- Experience in using statistical causal inference techniques for effect measurement.
- Experience managing a small team either through formal or informal reporting relationship is preferred.
- Experience working with cross-functional project teams and managing communications including in-person or virtual meetings is preferred. Experience with presenting project output to a wide range of audience is preferred.
- Prefer candidates with the ability to influence audience through effective communication skills.
- PhD and experience in the healthcare sector preferred.
- 3 years of Python experience is highly preferred
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few. Anthem, Inc. has been named as a Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, is ranked as one of the 2020 World's Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine, and a 2020 America's Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.antheminc.com. An Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran. Anthem promotes the delivery of services in a culturally competent manner and considers cultural competency when evaluating applicants for all Anthem positions.