Audio Consumer Electronics corporation is looking for an Audio Fidelity Engineer II for their Calabasas, CA location.
This will be 100% remote until at least the end of the year 2020, but will be onsite rile in their Calabasas office
This role will be working with the Audio Product team which sits between the developers and clients (which are other companies they are developing audio products for). The Engineer II interacts with the developers who are doing the R&D (so there is a lot of testing of the product and going back on forth to fine tune); but this role is not doing any hands on development. They must be technical in the sense that the Engineer II must be able to write scripts and read code. The technical skills listed below are all strong nice to have skills, with Python as a must have. The role requires great interpersonal skills and be able to take initiative.
Looking for candidates that must understand Basic Digital Audio Fundamentals, and Audio Signal Processing.
The Engineer II, Audio Fidelity, Product Support Engineering ensures a high standard for audio post-processing and codec solutions from a subjective perspective, providing support through all phases of product development cycle via well-defined evaluation methods. This position is responsible to define and perform thorough subjective evaluations of new audio solutions in development, working closely with internal R&D teams to ultimately provide the optimal audio quality of company products. This position also defines audio quality and tuning guidelines used in the implementation of company solutions in OEM products and competitive analysis benchmarking.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work directly with R&D engineers from early concept design through production to implement product improvements and technology enhancements.
- Evaluate subjective performance of codec and post-processing solution under development by R&D teams, following well-defined audio quality processes and methodology.
- Support technology API development and final tuning of internal-only parameters and default API parameters.
- Provide tuning guidelines for audio post-processing solutions to be implemented in product documentation and used by customer support team based on evaluation process.
- Conduct benchmark evaluations of audio solutions implemented on customer products and competitive analysis.
- Work with R&D engineers to prepare/expand subjective quality test plans based on technology feature definitions.
- Provide audio quality improvement feedback to R&D teams based on development evaluations and released products benchmark testing.
- Works on problems of limited to moderate scope where analysis requires a review of a variety of factors.
- Understands and applies functional concepts, principles and practices.
- Perspective of how products / projects should function and the ability to implement them.
- Receives little to no day-to-day instructions and general instructions on new projects.
- Works on assigned projects and may rely on guidance from managers.
- Understands how own work fits into and impacts the project life cycle.
- Exercises judgement within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in audio engineering, electrical engineering, or related.
- 6+ years of experience working in a CE product industry, either IC, automotive, mobile or home AV.
- Experience using most commercial audio tools and software packages (including Adobe Audition, SMAART, MAX/MSP, Audiomulch, etc.) required.
- Experience using audio hardware capture/analysis tools (Audio Precision, HATS, etc.) preferred.
- Experience with audio system setup/troubleshooting (soundcards, AVRs, amplifiers, DAWs, etc.) strongly preferred.
- Experience with C/C++, Matlab, Python, XML, or scripting languages preferred.
- Fundamental knowledge of DSP and audio testing required.
Other Skills & Abilities
- Critical listening skills required.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Must possess a strong ability to communicate (verbal & written); Should be capable of translating opinions of auditory experiences into useful feedback for other engineering disciplines.