Working Remote 3 Days a week and 2 days a week in Newark, Jersey City or Manhattan locations.
As a member of the Network Services Global Network Engineering team, the Cloud Network Engineer/Architect will be involved in the growth, support and evolution of the global infrastructure enabling client’s world class data and voice connectivity solutions for the finance industry. The role will be focused on design, support and automation of hybrid networks using CLIENT’s existing private network and public/private cloud providers. In addition to day-to-day activities, there will also be work for strategic, internal and customer projects as required.
Types of work includes a combination of Development, Lifecyle Engineering, and Support activities. Examples of activities include creation of high and low-level designs, testing and templating network configurations, POC/lab testing of vendor products, and responding to escalated production issues. The role will require a high level of collaboration with other engineering, operational and business groups so strong verbal and written communication skills is a key requirement.
CLIENT’s global network is built on multi-vendor and multi-technology networks. Candidates must be able to demonstrate strong conceptual and practical knowledge in traditional networking areas such as IP WAN/LAN routing, Internet routing and MPLS BGP VPNs in addition to Public Cloud networking options/designs using AWS and similar vendors. The ideal candidate should also have experience in a design/architecture role for a Service Provider or XaaS environment.
Candidate will be expected to learn and explore new technologies and vendor hardware/software as needed. Candidate will also be expected able to provide thought leadership to improve existing designs and develop new features/services to support the unique requirements of the finance industry.
Expected Duties and Responsibilities:
- Function as Subject Matter Expert (SME) on hybrid designs for CLIENT products that require cloud connectivity and/or Internet access. Initial cloud focus will be on internetworking with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and CLIENT infrastructure partners used for hosted services. This can expand to other cloud providers as opportunities develop.
- Work with Portal and OSS teams on the development of network automation capabilities for service provisioning and operational troubleshooting. This may involve a combination of internally developed scripts/tools or the use of third-party products.
- Develop a detailed understanding of the technical and product aspects of all CLIENT’s Data Services (Connexus Ethernet/Extranet/WAN/SD-WAN) that are under the purview of the Global Network Engineering team.
- Develop a working knowledge of CLIENT Trading Systems and Cloud products that uses the CLIENT Connexus network as a transport. Key focus would be on understanding applications flows and all network requirements required to support deliver of those services to customers.
- Perform Engineering tasks related to operational and product handover which include creating/maintaining design documentation, configuration templates, BOMs, provisioning/troubleshooting guides, ops training (where needed), systems integration, ensuring conformity to existing standards.
- Work with Product Management to develop new or enhance existing CLIENT Data Services. This includes participating in vendors discussions, planning and execution of POCs, equipment evaluation, perform technical, cost analysis, and road map discussions
- Work with Sales and Customer Engineering to ensure conformity to standard products and services. Where bespoke requirements are justified, work to develop solutions that can meet requirements but leverages as many standard elements as possible.
- Respond to escalations from Customer Engineering or Operations on production issues. This includes troubleshooting, research, creating workarounds, working with vendors to report bugs and find resolutions.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be added or modified as needed
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Must have strong Conceptual and practical knowledge for Layer 3 WAN+LAN networking (IP Routing, IP Multicast, MPLS VPNs, VRFs, BGP/OSPF/EIGRP etc.), including design and troubleshooting.
- Must have strong Conceptual and practical knowledge with AWS with focus on networking elements (Direct Connect, Transit Gateways, VPC Gateways, VPC peering, Internet Gateways, Gateway Load balancers, etc)
- Must have experience with deployment of vendor network devices/appliances in AWS as an overlay network (e.g., routers, firewalls, load balancers)
- Must have experience with scripting languages and Automation tools. Specific experience with Ansible a plus. Experience with one or more of the following a plus: Python, TCL, PERL, HTML, XML, Excel formulas/VBA.
- Must have experience with configuration and deployment of Cisco Routers. Specific experience with one or more of the following models a plus: ASR 1k, ISR x900, ISR 4000, ASR 9k Catalyst 9200/9300.
- Must have experience with configuration and deployment of Cisco switches. Specific experience with one or more of the following models a plus: Catalyst ME 3400/3600/4500, ASR920, Nexus 3k/9k switches, Catalyst 9300/9500.
- Conceptual and practical knowledge of Redhat Linux and VMWare.
- Conceptual and practical knowledge of firewalls and security. Specific experience with Fortinet or Cisco ASA/Firepower a plus.
- Conceptual and practical knowledge of Layer 2 WAN+LAN networking (802.1Q, Metro Ethernet, Ethernet over MPLS, etc.).
- Conceptual and practical knowledge of L3 and L2 QoS mechanisms (policing, shaping, CBWFQ, WRED, DSCP, MPLS EXP, CoS).
- Experience working with Arista switches a plus (7130, 7150, 7280R, 7060X)
- Experience working with Nokia Service Access Switch and Routers a plus (72xx,77xx series)
- Strong documentation skills using MS Office and Visio (network diagrams, test plans/results, configuration guides, design documentation)
- Can work at a conceptual or detailed configuration level depending on task.
- Team player, able to work effectively across the organization, but also demonstrate a high level of autonomy
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to articulate complex technical subjects to different audiences and knowledge levels
- Self-starter who proactively work on tasks with a strong sense of urgency
- Ability and willingness to self-learn new technologies, skills, and vendor devices
- Excellent problem-solving skills (technical and business)
- Highly organized and able to work on multiple projects in parallel while maintaining a high degree of quality and attention to details.
- Customer focused while balancing interests of CLIENT
Required Work Experience:
- 10+ years working in an IT or networking role.
- 5+ years in a role specifically with network engineering design/architecture responsibilities, with a strong focus on IP routing, Cloud and Automation technologies.
- Experience working with global networks for a Service Provider or XaaS environment
- Certifications a plus, especially network and cloud certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or IT/Computer Sciences or related field
- Experience with Finance Vertical networking services requirements a plus
- Experience with Finance Vertical voice services (e.g. Trader Voice) a plus