Software Engineer or Business Applications Engineer Summary
This individual will be responsible for the design and development of business systems, web, and/or mobile solutions for deployment throughout the enterprise and to the public. They will work with others to design and develop solutions using their expert knowledge of applicable technologies, providing technical planning, solutions, insight, and support to staff where needed.
- Uphold core SPIE values by consistently demonstrating customer focus, collaboration, inclusivity, continuous improvement, innovation and building communities.
- Continue to develop professionally by seeking and undertaking opportunities for personal growth.
- Work with others in a spirit of teamwork to leverage diverse skills and achieve desirable outcomes through fairness, cooperation, respect, and active participation in cross-departmental efforts.
- Lead by example. Model respect, reliability, positive attitude and conflict resolution. Demonstrate a strong work ethic, sincerity and fairness. Accept responsibility and learn from mistakes. Use a positive attitude to build a positive work environment.
- Ensure training is up to date and current.
- Contribute to and adhere to SPIE policy.
- Perform other duties as needed for SPIE success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a technical lead for software projects.
- Drive and deliver best practices of current web development technologies. This includes understanding and interfacing with: content management systems, identity servers, eCommerce systems, accounting and other enterprise information systems.
- Drive and manage technical and architectural dependencies.
- Contribute to and maintain coding and system documentation standards.
- Promote and adhere to existing Agile software development lifecycle practices at SPIE.
- Participate in peer technical design review sessions to drive best practices and optimize designs/solutions.
- Participate in key architectural design and review sessions.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other members of development team.
- Participate in the review and acceptance of proposed test plans created by software testing staff. Respond quickly to resolve software issues identified by software testing staff.
- Drive projects (either as an individual or as part of a small team) to completion - on time and on budget.
- Implement integration between major business systems utilizing best practices for integration design, including the development of objects, web services, and API s as appropriate.
- Establish strategies that leverage existing and new technologies to continuously increase automation, integration and flexibility of information systems at SPIE.
- Help to provide responsive technical support for the organization.
- Advanced understanding of SQL database structures and query language.
- Advanced understanding of LINQ and database connectivity techniques.
- Strong familiarity with standard source control systems, including Microsoft Team Foundation Services.
- Advanced understanding of connected services and communication (JSON, SOAP, XML, REST).
Additional competencies required for Business Applications Engineer:
- Expert understanding of Dynamics 365 / PowerApps Platform SDK.
- Strong familiarity and skills in the use of Visual Studio for developing and delivering applications.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to participate in multiple concurrent projects, taking leading role at times.
- Exceptional collaboration and team skills.
- Strong business perspective and learning skills.
- Self-starter with advanced problem-solving skills and the ability to clearly articulate solutions.
- Ability to analyze business requirements, and develop functional and technical specifications.
- Ability to alter direction as needed to accommodate changing business priorities.
- Experience in Lean and Agile development methodologies (Kanban or Scrum).
- Excellent technical writing skills. Must be able to create clear technical documentation.
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to provide technical guidance and leadership to IT staff in areas of expertise.
Education and Experience :
- BS in computer science, MIS, related field or equivalent, relevant experience required.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in software development required.
- 5 years of solution development experience with Dynamics 365 / PowerApps Platform, Association Management Systems (AMS), or Accounting Systems preferred.
- Related Certification preferred.