Innovation. Sophistication. Optimization. This is our passion.
Worldwide, the Volkswagen Group has a long tradition of dramatic innovations. The Volkswagen Group with its headquarters in Wolfsburg is one of the world's leading automobile manufacturers and the largest car maker in Europe. The Group comprises of twelve brands from seven European countries: Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, SEAT, KODA, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ducati, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Scania and MAN.
Here in the US, we are blending German engineering with American ingenuity. Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, the Volkswagen Innovation and Engineering Center California (IECC) is becoming the epicenter of vehicle electronics expertise in North America. Comprised of twelve teams, the IECC works with researchers and development teams in the US, Germany and across the globe. We're a team of engineers, designers, scientists, and psychologists looking to develop innovations for future generations of cars, and to transfer technologies from many industries and research institutions into the automotive domain. Our mission is to drive change which means we are not only impacting one of the world's largest car makers, but also the lives of millions of people. Are you ready to join us?
Software Engineer Sr -Android (Must have Android Auto)
This position is responsible for leading application development for mobile and vehicle infotainment systems at Volkswagen Group's Innovation Center California. The ideal candidate would excel at working with multiple cross disciplinary project teams to develop and implement infotainment concepts that showcase user journeys of our next-generation product concepts. The role involves championing a compelling story of innovation across VW Group, and to inspire main stakeholders within the organization
The candidate would also be responsible for investigating new developments in current and future mobile development with a focus on spatial computing technologies. Day to day activities for this would involve creating and leading the process for selecting, testing, and tracking top ideas for technical experimentation and productization. The role gives the flexibility to learn new things, try new technology, seek opportunities to grow, mentor & be mentored, & participate in Volkswagen Group's innovation ecosystem.
- Engage in brainstorming sessions to identify front-end technologies (mobile and vehicle infotainment ) to showcase customer-facing innovation concepts for mobility
- Develop mobile apps that can transform into vehicle apps when paired with the vehicle infotainment system
- Prototype interactive A.R. experiences using state-of-the-art spatial computing frameworks
- Make platform-level adaptations to customize Android Automotive for the vehicle infotainment system
- Identify and collaborate with external companies in Silicon Valley to bring disruptive technology and influence existing project portfolio
- Track ideas and their impact and infuse the outcomes of proof of concepts into real products
- Present your work at internal and external technology events and workshops with main stakeholders and potential companies
- Capture intellectual property
Years of Experience
- 8+ years of software development experience with at least 2 years in a technical lead role.
- 5+ years of experience in Android application development
- Highly desired (not required) Experience working with Android Automotive.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, EE or Game Design. Master's preferred.
- Self-motivated, flexible individual with high degree of ownership and accountability for results
- Analytical and conceptual thinking - using logic and reason, creative and strategic
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams as the technology lead for the domain
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Strong Android development experience
- Experience developing apps which have a multi-channel experience (e.g. Android Auto media and messaging apps
- Experience building applications which ingest large scale data from REST APIs
- Understanding of core Computer Science algorithms and data structures
- Knowledge of Git fundamentals: branching, merging conflicts
- Knowledge of software platform engineering and AOSP internals
- Experience bringing up systems with Android Automotive
- Developing/modifying Vehicle HALs
- Modifying HMI using CarUI and SystemUI libraries
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin, Jetpack and NDK development
- Experience developing interactive spatial computing experiences using Augmented Reality technologies like ARCore
- Understanding of vehicle Infotainment systems with a focus on application development (Navigation, Digital Assistant, V2X)
- Readiness for international business trips to visit Audi AG, Volkswagen AG, Porsche AG
- Flexibility to travel within US, Europe and China
Volkswagen Group of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, color, gender identity/expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.