Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) seeks a motivated and enthusiastic individual who would like to apply their Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and aeroacoustics experience and talents to developing and advancing US Navy ships (submarines and aircraft carriers).
Typical responsibilities include:
Researches, plans, designs and develops mechanical products and systems such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines and mechanical, thermal hydraulic or heat transfer systems for production, transmission, measurement, and use of energy. Applies research to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines, and/or machines.
9 Years with Bachelors in Science; 7 Years with Masters; 4 Years with PhD.- Newport News Shipbuilding requires a Bachelors Degree in engineering from an ABET accredited program.
• Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Ocean Engineering/ Naval Architecture Engineering, with a focus in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) or hydrodynamics and 7 years’ experience OR
• PhD in Aerospace Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Ocean Engineering/ Naval Architecture Engineering, with a focus in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) or hydrodynamics and 4 years’ experience.
• Excellent communication, both written and verbal, and problem solving skills
• Sound judgement and critical thinking skills
• Experience with StarCCM+, OpenFoam
• Experience in C/C++, Java, Matlab, Python
• Extensive knowledge of CFD and aeroacoustics for noise prediction
• Extensive experience with finite and boundary element analysis
• Extensive experience with turbulence and scale resolving simulations
• Experience with machine learning methods
• Experience using high performance computing systems (HPCs)
• Experience with manipulation and processing of large datasets
• CAD software literacy for model cleanup and meshing