Due to contract and clearance requirements, this position requires US Citizenship.
Due to COVID, this position is currently remote. After Labor Day, this position will be 50% onsite, 50% remote.
The AWS & BI Support Engineer position provides AWS solutions for Data & Analytic projects and supports custom applications and tools used by the Agency to provide and create reporting and analytics in the cloud data lake and data warehouse environments. This role maintains data & analytics applications and technology implemented in the AWS environment as well as provide redundant support for on premise and cloud tools used by the data & analytics team. This role works with the BI Architect, Enterprise Security Office (ESO) and IT Infrastructure Teams to: support, implement, document, and coordinate access to the AWS environment/tools used by the Data & Analytics Team. In addition, this role provides technical support by working with software vendors and internal or external teams to resolve issues encountered.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
AWS Software Administration & Support
- Support production and non-production big data processing and tools.
- Perform administration of EMR clusters - Hadoop (HDFS/YARN/Spark).
- Work with Middleware Team to support Kafka clusters, Zookeeper, KStream and KConsumer.
- Monitor the AWS environment and provide daily health of each environment providing performance recommendations as needed.
- Perform software installation, upgrade, configure, and documentation of: software, AWS services, and AWS components.
- Create and maintain the Data & Analytics Run Book for the AWS environment and work with the Dev Ops Team to deploy changes to the higher AWS environments.
- Work with the Enterprise Architecture (EA) Team, BI Architect, and ETL/Data Integration Lead to implement the AWS environments and services needed to support Data & Analytic projects.
- Partner with the ESO Team to document all roles, capabilities, and permissions needed in AWS for the Data & Analytics Team.
- Work with ETL/Data Integration Lead to configure and monitor Python/Informatica scheduled jobs in the AWS environment.
- Work with EA Team and BI Architect to recommend AWS technology and services to support a given business need.
- Provide integration review of code and changes to the AWS application environment.
- Maintain currency of AWS best practices and services.
Software Support (20%)
- Support user community, in-house and remote clients, with technical issues related to BI software and development where applicable.
- Work with the support specialist to cross train for redundancy across roles.
- Troubleshoot moderately complex problems for on premise legacy operational data store and data warehouse systems such as: coding, scheduling, and code migration problems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems or Engineering preferred; six plus years of Information Technology (IT)-related experience; four plus years of experience with AWS cloud infrastructure or a combination of training/certification and three plus years of applicable experience or any equivalent combination of knowledge, training, and/or experience.
- Demonstrated expert level knowledge of AWS cloud infrastructure and services.
- Experience with Informatica, Tableau, and SAS (or equivalent) installation on premise or AWS EC2.
- Demonstrated advanced experience with: AWS EMR, S3, EC2, Redshift, Glue, KMS, Cloud Watch, Cloud Trail, and DMS.
- Effective communication skills necessary to make yourself understood when speaking about complex technical subjects.
- Track record of managing multiple activities with varying priorities while ensuring accurate and timely results.
- Demonstrated experience working in a multi-platform environment including on-site and the AWS Cloud platform.
- Demonstrated understanding of SQL syntax using various relational database engines (i.e. IBM Relational Database DB2, SQL Server, Oracle).
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of data lake and data warehousing methods.
- Proven ability to focus on details for extended periods of time.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Flexible for occasional off-site travel required.
- Perform work required for this position in an office or remote environment.
- Remain sedentary for significant periods of time.
- Ability to speak to groups of employees and effectively manage conflict.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment regularly.
- Perform work required for this position in an office environment.
- Remain sedentary for significant periods of time.
- Must be able to communicate in both written and verbal formats (i.e. email, letters, etc.).
- Must be able to have a regular and predictable attendance for a highly interactive role.
- Must be able to use a personal computer.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Avoid the silo effect where a lack of communication can cause a change in one area of a system to adversely affect another area of the system.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments, and competing priorities in a rapidly growing, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop and promote effective working relationships within all levels of the Agency.
- Ability to assess and identify dependencies and actions needed to successfully perform work as assigned.
- Ability to be highly impactful while working as a team.
- Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations.
- Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems.
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies.
- Ability to communicate with diverse business communities.