Sr. Digital Accessibility Engineer
PROJECT: This role will support the Digital Accessibility Program, which is a new initiative to holistically assess digital properties against a 76-point checklist based on Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and then provide consulting guidance as the product team updates the property to make it accessible to people with disabilities.TOP REQUIREMENTS:
- 5+ years experience working as a digital accessibility engineer.
- Advanced knowledge (5+ years) of assistive technology and accessibility-related software, including JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, ZoomText, Dragon NaturallySpeaking or other speech recognition software.
- Advanced soft skills and mastery of working with teams who may not have any understanding of inclusive design or accessibility (5+ years).
*** What experience will set candidates apart from one another? Self-motivated with a desire to improve products for people with disabilities. Mastery of working collaboratively and productively both with diverse teams and independently. Ability to think on your feet when in a tough situation and stay diplomatic.
LOCATION: Fully remote.
*** Cannot provide sponsorship upon conversion.
a. How many rounds? 2.
b. Video vs. phone? Phone only (video could introduce bias).
c. How technical will the interviews be? We ask some questions of a technical nature to probe the candidates knowledge of the role, but we dont do any sort of coding test.
The Accessibility Center of Excellence seeks energetic, motivated and resourceful individuals to join our growing team. The Accessibility Center of Excellence serves the client, providing guidance, training and talent to product teams as they build solutions that ensure everyone can access and the clients products.
As a senior digital accessibility engineer, you will continue to progress skills learned and practiced as a digital accessibility engineer. In addition, you will collaborate with Accessibility Center of Excellence leadership to promote the need for accessible products and services across the enterprise. You will educate and train product teams on specific accessibility requirements and the use of tools that teams can use to incorporate accessibility early in the product development lifecycle.
With the opportunity to serve as a member of the Accessibility Council, you will leverage prior experience to constantly evaluate and recommend improvements to the accessibility processes, our tools and training materials. You will actively contribute in one or more working groups for standards, research, tools development or other accessibility resources to help mature the practice of accessibility within the company and promote a culture of inclusive design, using best in class accessibility tools and techniques.
To be successful, you must show empathy towards people with disabilities, have a passion for helping to make products better for everyone, have a curious, inquisitive mind and self-awareness with an interest in continuing to improve your people and technical skills and be able to share your knowledge and talent with team members and clients by providing training and mentoring.
Under the guidance of Accessibility Center of Excellence leadership, collaborate with product teams across the enterprise to promote the need for accessible products and services.
Serve as the lead on client projects, providing direction to and mentoring digital accessibility engineers and Grow Your Own program participants, reporting status updates to project team leadership and Accessibility Center of Excellence leadership, and handling any issues that arise regarding talent, timelines and deliverables.
- Participate on the Accessibility Council, researching and documenting best practices for usability and accessibility, documenting and sharing use cases to help promote accessibility best practices, helping to market the council and promote decisions made to peers and clients.
- Assess and validate the digital properties to ensure that they comply with WCAG.
- Perform accessibility assessments. May include web pages, desktop applications, mobile applications and documents, such as PDFs, PPTs, etc., with the (preferred) ability to assess and remediate PDF, Word and other documents so they confirm to current standards, including WCAG and PDF/UA.
- Document assessment results via available reporting templates and tools.
- Write Rally or Jira user stories based on the standard accessibility user story template and following guidelines in place.
- Present findings to internal product teams and external clients, educating teams on specific accessibility requirements and the use of available tools to proactively include accessibility early in the lifecycle.
- Identify accessibility issues of visual and interactive designs, promoting the use of accessible design pattern library components and use of tools to improve the accessibility of designs.
- Research and stay aware of new development frameworks for the purpose of assisting developers in creating accessible products.
- Support the Accessibility Center of Excellence by researching and writing posts for team websites.
- Write curriculum and lead accessibility training for peers and clients.
- Identify new opportunities to support and contribute to the growth of the Accessibility Center of Excellence.?
- BA/BS in information technology, information design, computer science, human computer interaction (HCI), instructional design, quality assurance, assistive technology or related field, or equivalent industry training and experience.
- 8+ years working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative development environment with experience in large, complex software or web applications.
- 5+ years working as a digital accessibility engineer.
- Advanced knowledge of user-centered design principles and tools.
- Strong understanding of Agile development methodology.
- Experience writing reusable frontend code for modern frameworks such as Angular, Backbone, etc.).
- Knowledge of Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) guidelines and specifications.
- Familiarity with WCAG.
- Advanced understanding of how to use design pattern libraries for client products.
- Advanced knowledge of assistive technology and accessibility-related software, including JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, ZoomText, Dragon NaturallySpeaking or other speech recognition software.
- Self-motivated with a desire to improve products for people with disabilities.
- Mastery of working collaboratively and productively both with diverse teams and independently.
- Advanced soft skills and mastery of working with teams who may not have any understanding of inclusive design or accessibility.
- Proven organizational and multi-tasking skills.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at or