At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. GIACE Overview
At AstraZeneca, we're not afraid to do things differently. We're resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, ground-breaking and cutting-edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together
AstraZeneca is organized around two core business units, BioPharmaceuticals (BBU) and Oncology. The BBU focuses on development and commercialization of AstraZeneca's Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal, and Infectious Disease therapeutic areas.
Global Insights, Analytics & Commercial Excellence (GIACE) is a strategic function, critical for enabling success in the growth of the BBU business. Our ambition is to build an industry-leading organization, empowering our Commercial teams through the generation of compelling evidence and insights, while ensuring they have the tools and skills to deliver impactful launches that change the practice of medicine for the benefit of patients. Within GIACE, the Insights & Analytics function is organized across three teams and supports both the US and Global organizations: Respiratory Insights, CVRM Insights (Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal), and the Insights & Analytics Center of Excellence (CoE). Team Overview
The aim of the Insights & Analytics Center of Excellence is to establish industry-leading capabilities across the core areas of analytics, forecasting, reporting, business planning, and insight capabilities. It will leverage, reapply, and advance best practices in capabilities and operations from Global and US more broadly across geographies. In the area of advanced analytics, the ambition is to accelerate the development and application of advanced analytic methodologies such as machine learning and artificial intelligence to solve business problems. The CoE also aims to scale and deploy these capabilities in a highly efficient manner so that continuous innovation can be pursued.
The Insight Teams and the CoE partner to drive portfolio and brand strategy and performance. Together we strive to uncover deep customer insights in order to drive improved decision-making and business impact. We are looking for leaders who have the passion to drive business results and bring innovation to what we do for greater impact.
The I&A Center of Excellence is responsible for Global and US across the BBU, and is organized around the following core capability areas:
- Brand Analytics
- Advanced Analytics, US and Global
- Advanced Analytics, Other Markets & Data Management
- Forecasting, Respiratory
- Forecasting, CVRM
- Business Planning & Capabilities
Candidate Focus and Challenge
As an Advanced Analytics Manager at AstraZeneca, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. The Advanced Analytics Manager is responsible for providing analytic expertise and delivering business insights to the Commercial organization.
The Advanced Analytics Manager will require a high level of proficiency in designing and developing customer predictive and prescriptive analytics utilizing primary and secondary data, as well as demonstrated ability to execute and implement analytical solutions in support of business opportunities and risk assessment, customer segmentation and targeting, Promotion Response & Return-On-Investment analytics and Optimal Resource/Budget allocation across diverse Sales and Marketing channels, Smart Business Experiments (Test & Learn), Market Simulation & Patient flow modelling. This person will work closely with senior leaders, the Brand Team, Managed Markets, Sales, Forecasting, and other cross-functional business partners. This is a hands-on analytical role
This role is reserved for someone with marketing and research experience who has deep quantitative technical skills combined with superior communication skills. As such, those who will qualify for this position are both technically sound and have the ability to be a proactive internal consultant, adding value to AstraZeneca's commercial organization beyond their analytical prowess through their understanding of secondary data, industry knowledge, and track record of innovative and impactful decision support.
- Develop a deep understanding of internal customers' data and analytical needs focusing on the customer-facing model leadership.
- Champion the use of local customer insight in strategic and resourcing decisions across the business.
- Leading promotional response modelling (i.e., ROI) and resource allocation capability for the organization.
- Collaborate with the US Sales Force Operations to ensure success of key business processes and coordination on joint initiatives
- Instills a culture of continuous improvement, testing, and deployment of new capabilities for the business.
- Develop innovative analytical practices to create and sustain competitive advantage.
- Access appropriate information via a variety of tools and sources
- Summarize and present findings through various communication channels
- Responsible for recruiting, training, managing, coaching and developing a team of analysts
- Capability in applying deeper technical skills and knowledge that is shared across the functional area (e.g., deep knowledge of key data sets, modeling capabilities, etc.)
- Demonstrate a high level of understanding of the points of integration of our work and that of our colleagues.
- Monitors the external environment to stay up to date on leading analytic capabilities, both within and outside of pharma, which can be applied within the organization
- 4+ years of experience in application of advanced methods and statistical procedures on large and disparate datasets, specifically:
- Statistical Analysis & Modelling: Design of Experiments, Time Series, Regression, Applied Econometrics and Bayesian methods.
- Data Mining, Predictive Modelling & Machine Learning algorithms.
- Optimization & Simulation.
- 2+ years of recent experience and proficiency with SAS/Base, SAS/Stat & SAS/ETS. Working knowledge of SAS/OR and SAS/Enterprise Miner considered a plus.
- Working knowledge of SQL, R, Python and big data technology - Hadoop ecosystem (Cloudera distribution - Impala, Hive, Hbase, Spark, MapReduce etc.,).
- Working knowledge of data visualization - Qlikview, MicroStrategy, Tableau, D3js or similar tools.
- Experience in MS Office products - Excel and PowerPoint skills required.
- Proficiency in manipulating and extracting insights from large longitudinal data sources, such as Claims, EMR and other patient level data sets.
- Expertise in managing and analyzing a range of large, secondary transactional databases is required.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Desirable Requirements:
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a significant number of business leaders and cross-functional business partners.
- Strong communication and influencing skills with demonstrated ability to develop and effectively present succinct, compelling reviews of independently developed analyses infused with insight and business implications/actions to be considered.
- Strategic and critical thinking with the ability to engage, build and maintain credibility with Commercial Leadership Team.
- Strong organizational skills and time management; ability to manage diverse range of simultaneous projects.
- Quantitative Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required in one of the following or related fields: Engineering, Operations Research, Management Science, Economics, Statistics, Applied Math, Computer Science or Data Science. An advanced degree is preferred (Master's, MBA or PhD).
- 2+ years of experience in Pharmaceutical / Biotech / Healthcare analytics or secondary data analysis. CV, Renal and/or metabolic disease experience is a plus.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.