Description Job Description:
The Antarctic Support Contract at Leidos currently has an opening for a Power Systems Engineer in Centennial, Colorado. The Power Systems Engineer will be responsible for optimization of the power generation plants, the waste heat recovery and the waste heat delivery systems at South Pole and McMurdo Stations. The position is responsible for accumulating all necessary temperature, flow and control system data to maintain a station wide heat balance and to show all system and sub-system efficiencies in graphical form for presentation on a monthly basis. The position uses this data to suggest operating changes both at the power plant and throughout the station to enhance efficiencies and lower operating costs.PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment will be required in this position
. This position requires successful completion of the National Science Foundation (NSF) physical, dental, and psychological examinations for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply.ship or permanent residency is required. It is expected the Power Systems Engineer will deploy for 6-8 weeks annually. Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Required Education and Experience:
- Works closely with the facilities engineering staff to maximize waste heat capture, delivery of same to the station and minimize fuel consumption thus ensuring efficient and economical operation of station power and water production plant.
- Upholds the management of change process for all civil, structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical and software systems.
- Performs root cause analysis of equipment and system failures with other facilities staff and acts to correct system deficiencies through the management of change (CCR) process to correct and prevent future recurrences.
- Assures expedient response to unplanned power outages through the power plant staff.
- Files status reports on schedule and metrics regarding the state of operations in power and water plants.
- Ensures compliance with applicable Safety, Environment, Health, and Waste Management policies and procedures. Plans safety training programs in liaison with EH&S. Complies with all ASC Environmental Health & Safety, and Quality Assurance, requirements and goals. Provides documentation to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate and legal documentation.
- Tracks and updates both permanent and temporary power plant generation capacity vs actual measured loads, and makes updates for load forecasting, including min/mzx/average loading broken down by all major science, support, and construction loads.
- Performs duties in support of Operations Division metrics (as provided by supervisor).
- Supports the achievement of ASC metrics, whether metrics are directly or indirectly, effected by this position's work activities.
- Works to achieve ASC goals and contractual commitments.
- Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure
- Performs other duties as required.
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of six years experience in process engineering to include the optimization of power plants or heat transfer systems is required. Experience with microturbines is desired. A closely related engineering degree and a minimum of six years experience in process engineering to include the optimization of power plants or heat transfer systems is required.Certifications and/or Licensing Requirements:
Professional Engineering Certification is preferred.Training:
Training or experience using Skyspark software is desired. PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment will be required in this position. This position requires successful completion of the National Science Foundation (NSF) physical, dental, and psychological examinations for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply.ship or permanent residency is required.External Referral Bonus:
EligiblePotential for Telework:
NoClearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.