Looking for a full-time forward-thinking Application Engineer to assist in developing next generation machine control software and in documenting, testing, and maintaining existing production code.
Excellent opportunity to work in a small team environment where you will be part of a fun, dynamic, high performance group which works closely with service, sales, engineering, and manufacturing for a world-wide leader in HVAC Equipment Manufacturing (Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning).
Candidates should have excellent communication skills and be comfortable making management level decisions in a timely manner. We also seek people who are creative and possess strong customer service values.
Travel requirement time is approximately 25% of this position and may include 3-5 day service trips within the U.S. and into Canada. The frequency of service trips will vary with business needs. Some travel will be short notice and some travel will be required for occasional continuing education and training.
The Application Engineer will perform a variety of tasks including:
- Developing and documenting control application designs
- Developing program automation applications
- Developing and executing formal test plans and scripts
- Troubleshooting and resolving application issues
- Tracking and reporting project status
- Resolving technical problems at customer locations
- Reviewing automation application needs and documenting requirements
- Estimating implementation effort to develop automation applications
- Creating project plans
- Bachelor's degree (BS) in Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CMPE), Electrical Engineering (EE), Mechanical Engineering (ME) from a four-year college or university, or equivalent work experience
- Application development experience in a high-level language, preferably C/C++ or equivalent
- Current passport and drivers license
Additional preferred experience and interests include:
- Experience in motion control systems
- Understanding of IEC 61131 programming languages (ladder diagram, structured text)
- Experience with real-time operating systems and programming in real-time environments
- Interest in PC- and PLC-hardware applications, mechanical and electrical systems and physics
- Desire to work in an international team environment
- Experience in project management
Benefit package including health, dental and vision insurance, maternity and bereavement leave, and flex-time.
Cedar Rapids has a population of 131,000. It is served by the Eastern Iowa Airport, just minutes from downtown Cedar Rapids. Driving time is approximately 4 hours from Chicago, IL and Minneapolis, MN.
Cedar Rapids has high quality public education and excellent, accessible medical care. Two private 4-year colleges and one community college offer academic opportunities. We are 30 miles from The University of Iowa in Iowa City. We are home to a first-class symphony orchestra, an art museum with the largest Grant Wood collection in the world, and a vibrant arts community. Sports fans can follow the University of Iowa athletic teams.