Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is seeking to hire a Application Software Engineer to join our Innovation team at our downtown Chicago location. Allstate's Innovation Team is at the forefront of change and growth within the company, driving the creation of standalone businesses or reinvention of existing ones. Innovation projects typically include cross-functional team members within Business Strategy, Product, Technology, Design, and Go to Market functions, who use data-driven prototypes and testing to achieve desired business outcomes. The team is seeking to augment its analytics capabilities further by growing a small team of predictive analytics researchers and data engineers with a senior data engineer position. Past projects in the team have included the development of a new consumer "digital footprint" technology
, announced at CES 2019, and new approaches to risk prediction for traditional insurance products.
The Application Software Engineer will develop novel techniques for on-boarding, transforming, and persisting structured and semi-structured data to create solutions for advanced risk prediction, reporting, and other types of analytics. This individual will also assist in efforts to evaluate, extract, scrub/prep, analyze and visualize a host of internal and external datasets and communicate the results to various stakeholders across and outside the company.
- Using Sqoop, SQL, Hadoop stack, Spark, and other Big Data technologies to create an end-to-end ETL and Data Mining pipelines gathering inputs from disparate sources within the enterprise and transforming the data to a format suitable for Data Science work
- Working closely with our Data Science team as well as the business team to understand complex requirements around data acquisition, transformation, streaming, and other data pipeline requirements
- Wearing multiple hats including Data Engineering, Web Development, DevOps, Reporting and other disciplines as necessary in a challenging highly complex environment
- Representing Allstate in customer meetings, external functions, projects and consortia, as necessary
- Having readiness to challenge the current process and proposing new solutions based on extensive previous experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a similar technical field with 5 or more years of experience in highly data driven projects. OR
- A Master's or Ph.D. in computer science or a similar technical field with 3 or more years of experience in highly data driven projects.
- Strong proficiency in Python, Scala, Java or equivalent.
- Strong proficiency in SQL.
- Strong proficiency in Linux.
- Significant experience working in a distributed environment including Hadoop (HDFS, Hive, etc.) and Spark (ETL) ecosystems
- Significant experience in a technically complex product development environment (e.g. database or software applications).
- Background in information systems, big data and analytics experience with familiarity of contemporary tools and agile methodologies.
- Ability to execute in a cross-functional team environment spread across many departments.
- Ability to operate in a dynamic, fast moving environment, and communicate complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- Results oriented as demonstrated by proven ability to meet short deadlines and execute against multiple competing priorities with minimum direct supervision.
- Strong proficiency in TDD, CI/CD, Git and one of Maven, SBT, Gradle.
- Deep knowledge of a web framework like Spring Boot or equivalent (Play, Rails, Django).
- Experience with Dimensional Modeling and Star Schemas.
- Experience with reporting tools like Tableau or Business Objects.
- Experience with Cloudera or other Hadoop distributions.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter
or watch a video
.Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here"
for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here"
for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.