Harris County was founded in 1836 and is located in the Gulf Coast region of Texas approximately 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Harris County covers over 1700 square miles with over 4 million residents, making it the most populous county in Texas and third most populous in the United States.
The Harris County Universal Services (US) exists to support the mission of Harris County by developing, implementing and supporting high quality, innovative and cost effective information technology solutions.
This is an intermediate level programmer position that supports the Harris County Justice agencies. Under general supervision, develops, codes, test, and debugs new software or enhancements to existing software customers. Requires good understanding of business application. Works with technical staff to understand problems with software and resolve them. Resolves customer complaints with software and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements from customers. May assist in development of software user manuals. Demonstrates software.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for analyzing and troubleshooting complex software problems and provide solutions to overcome those problems with the latest technologies.
- Prepare detailed specifications from which programs will be written.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents programs.
- Ability to lead multiple projects in as part of services and operational support team.
- Strong release planning and management skills.
- Strong data analysis, object oriented and domain design and development experience.
- Competent to work at the highest technical level of all phases of application systems analysis and programming activities.
- Excellent problem solving, client facing expertise, and verbal/written communication skills are required.
- Strong conceptualization, analytical, and logic skills.
- Must excel at working with peers within a team environment.
- Must excel at identifying, analyzing and resolving issues or concerns in a timely fashion.
- Must enjoy working in an environment where the customer expectations drive high pressure and high visibility to the support role.
- Bachelor s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or other degree in technology or closely related field.
- Minimum of three to five years of high-tech industry, product engineering, programming/systems analysis, and/or IT work experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of programming/systems analysis experience with the one or more of the following:
- - Implementing object-oriented design principles
- - Relational databases
- - .NET
- - Java
- - J2EE
- - XML
- - Websphere
- - C#
- Microsoft Certification is a plus, but not required.
- Experience developing web applications
- Experience with MS SQL Server.
- Experience with Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Visual Studio.
- Experience in an agile development environment.
- Commitment to continuing professional development.
- Experience supporting customers in a production environment.
- Experience with large-scale enterprise applications.
- Ability to lift at least 20 pounds and/or move boxes and equipment as needed.
- Ability to kneel, crouch, handle, climb, walk, sit, twist and reach is needed to perform the essential functions.
- Performs product design and development work for medium to highly complex assignments.
- Acts as a liaison between customers, in order to assist in the implementation of program changes, updates, corrections and other system fixes.
- Works on multiple projects as a team member.
Under general supervision, formulates and defines systems scope and objectives through research and fact finding to develop or modify moderately complex information systems. Designs, codes, tests, debugs, documents and maintains those programs. Works on all phases of applications systems analysis and programming activities. Occasionally provides guidance to less experienced analysts and/or programmers. Performs other duties as assigned.
May be required to work more than forty hours during the workweek or on weekends when special projects or deadlines need to be met. On call 24 hours a day. Must be able to travel to multiple locations.
Applicants for this position will be subject to a criminal background check that includes being fingerprinted. This applies to any position with network access to CJI (Criminal Justice Information) systems or access to an area where CJI is received, maintained or stored either manually or electronically (i.e. custodian, maintenance).
- Conviction, probation, or deferred adjudication for any Felony
- Conviction, probation, or deferred adjudication for any Class A Misdemeanor
- Conviction, probation, or deferred adjudication for a Class B Misdemeanor if within the previous 10 years
- Open arrest for any criminal offense (Felony or Misdemeanor)
- Family Violence conviction