IDT is the leading manufacturer of custom oligonucleotides and proprietary technologies for genomics applications. Our work is complex and cutting-edge, and our team members are curious, creative thinkers who understand that good data drives smart decisions. At IDT, we realize that although science may be uniform, people are unique. We promote a culture where engaged people are motivated and have opportunities to achieve their full potential, as part of one global team.
IDT is proud to work alongside a community of nine fellow Danaher Life Sciences companies. Together, we're pioneering the future of science and medicine, developing products that enable researchers in the fight to save lives. Job Title:
Applications Scientist - NGS Location:
Ideally relocation and onsite in Coralville, Iowa. Will also consider remote with travel expectations at 10-20%. Purpose statement:
The Applications Scientist - NGS provides professional customer service and technical support to IDT customers regarding product design and end-use for Next Generation Sequencing. Essential Functions:
- Communicates with and supports customers to provide pre- and post-sales technical support for a growing NGS product offering.
- Troubleshoots product use and applications by using customer provided data and information, as well as IDT sales and manufacturing databases.
- Answers all NGS-related customer inquiries received by phone, email and chat.
- Documents all incoming and outgoing customer interactions in IDT's Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database.
- Supports other IDT service departments and Sales through consultation or escalation of product questions, customer issues, and technical inquiries as needed.
- Handles the intake and completion of custom design requests for Next Gen Sequencing panels.
- Resolves complaints by determining the cause of the problem, selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem, and expediting resolution to the customer's satisfaction.
- Uses available resources to formulate a timely and informed customer response; reaches out to appropriate resources as necessary if the customer concern falls outside range of expertise.
- Presents technical information in regularly scheduled department meetings.
- Contributes regularly to the growing database of technical information and reviews this information.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology, Biology, Bioinformatics or related science field required; M.S or Ph.D. preferred.
- Strong understanding and experience NGS workflows and platforms preferred.
- Strong understanding and experience using NGS bioinformatics algorithms/software, extensive Python and Galaxy experience preferred.
Other Job Qualifications:
- Advanced theoretical knowledge of, and practical experience in PCR and Next Generation Sequencing sample preparation workflows and troubleshooting required.
- Experience with NGS data analysis methods, approaches and troubleshooting required.
- Extensive understanding and experience in Next Generation Sequencing sample preparation workflows, and the Illumina, Ion Torrent, PacBio, etc. sequencing platforms preferred.
- Experience with cloning methods, specifically TA cloning and others preferred.
- Experience in a customer support or customer-facing role preferred.
- Excellent computer skills that include Microsoft Office applications and proficiency in typing required.
- Ability to analyze data, identify key issues, and solve problems using critical thinking skills.
- Skill to critically review and accurately interpret data provided by the customer during the troubleshooting process.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and convey relevant scientific information.
- Ability to search current scientific literature for potential relevant methods and techniques to acquire necessary information to fill technical gaps.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues.
- Ability to multitask and adjust priorities in a quick paced environment.
- Ability to keep key personnel informed and up-to-date of imminent issues.
- Ability to probe skillfully to get the facts when others are averse to providing detailed information.
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively in a group.
- Adaptability to performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to maintain both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers.
- Adaptability to accepting responsibility for the direction, control or planning of an activity.
Exert up to 10lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to a minimal amount frequently
Constant (67%-100% of work day)
- Reaching: extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Sitting: to assume a position in which the weight is largely supported by the buttocks, usually with the body vertical and the thighs horizontal.
- Using Fingers/Grasping/Feeling: writing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling. Applying pressure to an object with the fingers or palm and perceiving attributes of objects such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touch.
- Talking: expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken work- those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Hearing: perceiving the nature of sounds at normal range; ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make fine discriminations in sound, such as when auscultating and percussing.
- Repetitive Motion: substantial movements (motion) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
Occasional (33% or less of work day)
- Standing: maintaining an upright position.
- Walking: moving about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Lifting: raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position.
- Bending: bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist and/or bending leg; bending legs at knee to come to rest or kneel.
- Pushing/Pulling: using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward/using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Climbing: stairs, stools, ramps, ladders.
What We Offer:
- Work requires close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to read pertinent printed material and distinguish colors.
- Ability to prepare and read written documentation; use of computer.
- Generous Paid Time Off Accruals
- 16 Hours PAID Volunteer Time Off
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Up to eight (8) weeks of 100% paid parental leave to eligible U.S. associates
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Options
Integrated DNA Technologies (IDT) conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
When you join us, you'll also be joining Danaher's global organization, where 69,000 people wake up every day determined to help our customers win. As an associate, you'll try new things, work hard, and advance your skills with guidance from dedicated leaders, all with the support of powerful Danaher Business System
tools and the stability of a tested organization.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. We value diversity and the existence of similarities and differences, both visible and not, found in our workforce, workplace and throughout the markets we serve. Our associates, customers and shareholders contribute unique and different perspectives as a result of these diverse attributes.
The EEO posters are available here
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at 202.419.7762 or firstname.lastname@example.org
to request accommodation.
If you've ever wondered what's within you, there's no better time to find out.