Reporting to the Associate Director, Educational Initiatives, the Application Specialist provides support, documentation and training for a variety of software applications to the Andover community including faculty, staff and students. Responsibilities include testing new releases and reporting issues to the software development team or vendor. This position will support the Canvas learning management system, chiefly overseeing the automated creation of users, courses, sections and enrollments from output provided by the student information system. This individual will also assist in the maintenance and support of the intranet built on the Communifire platform and will assist in the additional rollout of new features to the community. The Applications Specialist also provides training and support to users of the Microsoft Office 365 environment, including OneDrive and Teams.
The qualified candidate will have a BA or BS degree, preferably in a technical field. Experience in secondary or higher education preferred.
• Provide daily assurance that all Unit4 course-related changes are reflected in Canvas. Create and maintain a Powershell script that automatically imports exported .csv files. When necessary, run manual updates during heavy add/drop times.
• Provide user support on the Communifire intranet platform, assisting campus community members with questions, troubleshooting, and collaborating with campus point people to maintain their content.
• Provide technology support for specialized software in two computer labs, the Language Learning Center and the Polk Lillard Center, which includes instruction in the use of Adobe Creative Cloud and Sony Virtuoso/Soloist.
• Develop deep knowledge of educational and administrative tools and platforms supported by the Academy and respond to requests from community members for support, collaboration and troubleshooting. Examples from an ever-evolving list of platforms and applications: EdPuzzle, Extempore, Kaltura MediaSpace, Zoom, Microsoft 365, VoiceThread, Seesaw.
• Provide occasional after-hours support, as needed.
The ideal candidate will have the following required knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Self-starter and curious problem-solver, able to learn and troubleshoot new applications and tools
• Ability to explain technical concepts and procedures to a non-technical audience • Ability to stay organized and manage time across various tasks and priorities
• Outstanding customer service and collaboration skills
• Patience and flexibility for a dynamic, changing environment
• Knowledge of Microsoft 365 environment and Adobe Creative Cloud
• Deep familiarity with a learning management system, preferably Canvas
• Strong knowledge of macOS operating system and ability to troubleshoot basic laptop software/operating system problems.
• Familiarity with Communifire a plus
• Working familiarity with Windows 10 and iOS a plus.
• Strong technical and communication skills.
If interested, please complete an application as well as submit a resume and cover letter outlining the reasons for your interest in this position via http://www.andover.edu/employmentopportunities.
As the COVID-19 pandemic persists, our top priority is safety. Accordingly, the Academy will require, subject to disability and religious accommodation exceptions under federal and state law, that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Phillips Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Phillips Academy is an intentionally diverse and inclusive residential community “committed to creating an equitable and inclusive school in which students from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences—including race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, socioeconomic class, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, and ability—learn and grow together.” The ideal candidate supports the inclusive and diverse nature of the community. Any offers of employment will be contingent upon successful CORI/SORI and fingerprinting background checks as well as unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.