The Chief Architect is responsible for ensuring that all client's investments in technology function effectively to meet the client’s strategic objectives through the use of technology. This position will work closely with stakeholders, IT delivery teams and external partners to develop a framework for the effective and efficient use of IT infrastructure to integrate and support the overall operation of the client. This position will also be responsible and accountable for planning, documenting and articulating the client’s application and technology strategy and governing and aligning initiatives to the enterprise architecture and vision across the portfolio. The successful candidate will lead the selection, implementation, and integration of new application/infrastructure components impacting the client. The primary responsibility of the first few months of this position is to review infrastructure and application architecture of enterprise systems and make recommendations to Chief Information Officer and IT Delivery teams of how to move forward on enterprise projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serves as an expert in the application and infrastructure architecture domains and maintains a broad understanding in other architecture domains (Business, Data and Security).
- Work with stakeholders, both leadership and subject matter experts, to build a holistic view of the organization's strategy, processes, information, and information technology assets.
- Determine and develop architectural approaches and solutions, conducts business reviews, documents current systems, and develops recommendations of how to proceed with the applications. Play a significant role in the planning of the overall organizational IT strategy.
- Document architectural models or views that show how the current and future needs of the organization will be met in an efficient, sustainable, agile, and adaptable manner; survey the current infrastructure to determine areas for growth and improvement and recommend areas of improvement for immediate alignment with the organizational IT strategy.
- Interface across several business areas, acting as visionary to proactively assist in defining the direction for future projects.
- Establish an Architecture Review Board (ARB) and function to govern standards, best practices, and architecture decisions.
- Supervises implementation of various infrastructure projects, works with vendors, and actively leads the Architecture Review Board (ARB)
- Participate in creating and evolving technology roadmap that defines current technical architectures, future architectures, and the evolution for transition for all projects
- Operate across organizational and computing silos to drive common approaches and to expose information assets and processes across the enterprise
- Promote the use of shared infrastructure and applications to reduce costs and improve information flows. Ensure that projects do not duplicate functionality or diverge from each other and business and IT strategies.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for architectural frameworks, methods, design patterns, and tools
- Researches new technologies and platforms. Leads consolidation of monitoring tools and solutions in use by various application and infrastructure support teams
- Coach and mentor technical staff and identify talent and ability for others to become architects
- Researches new technologies and platforms to enhance technological advancement of the Agency and realize cost savings including but not limited to Cloud Service Providers (CSPs) such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure / O365, Google and IBM Cloud.
- Leads consolidation of monitoring tools and solutions in use by various application and infrastructure support teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or other related technical discipline.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related discipline
- 10+ years IT experience with demonstrated proficiency in multiple disciplines/technologies/processes related to the position including development, implementation, and maintenance of large scale integrated systems across multiple hardware and software platforms and operations work with infrastructure technologies, support, setup, monitoring and performance testing
- 5+ years of experience leading technical teams with or without direct reports.
- 5+ years of experience working with third party IT vendors and/or IT system solution providers
- Expert knowledge of application development, application architecture, platform architecture, business architecture and architecture principles.
- Minimum of 3 years as an Infrastructure Architect in developing infrastructure design solutions covering network, server, database, application virtualization and storage domains.
- Broad technical expertise with the software and hardware components of modern computing environments, including a deep knowledge and understanding of information technology approaches, applications, architectures, tools, and methodologies, as well as a broad-based background in a wide variety of technology platforms.
- Expert level knowledge of virtual computing, system administration, and automation solutions.
- Solid foundation in networking technologies, modern storage, and information security.
- Proven experience of successful software delivery throughout the software development lifecycle, including substantial experience of working as a senior architect on multiple projects
- Proven experience developing successful SOA and integration solutions in an enterprise environment on one or more industry standard integration suites on multiple projects
- Executive-level interpersonal, verbal, written and presentation skills, good listener, ability to provide a trusted voice at the decision-making table
- The successful candidate must have a familiarity of the underlying Cloud technology, Networking, Management Console and terminology used therein. Also, one must be abreast of emerging technologies such as HCI (Hyper-Converged Infrastructure), Machine Learning and AI (Artificial Intelligence) and how practical application can be justified and deployed within the Agency and potentially with the public.