The Office of Enrollment Management Operations at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, (UTK) invites applications and nominations for our Associate Director of Systems position. We are seeking candidates who can contribute in meaningful ways to the diversity and intercultural goals of the University.
The University and Region
UTK is the state’s flagship, land-grant university. We are a Research 1 university with 11 colleges and more than 30,000 students. With new leadership at the system, university, and college levels, UTK is poised for dramatic positive change focused on solving some of the most audacious, pressing problems our country and world face today. The city of Knoxville is a hidden gem surrounded by eight gorgeous lakes, with a beautiful and walkable downtown, a diverse music scene including internationally recognized festivals, active neighborhoods, unique restaurants, and a robust offering of diverse cultural and outdoor activities. UTK is located within easy driving distance to the Great Smoky Mountains, Atlanta, Nashville, Asheville, Charlotte, Louisville and Cincinnati. It is only a day’s drive to Memphis, Chicago, and Washington D.C. Knoxville and the surrounding counties have a population of more than 850,000 people.
The Enrollment Management (EM) division comprises more than 170 full-time staff who serve our students through the following departments and functions: Undergraduate Admissions, International Recruitment, Transfer Center, One Stop Student Services, Financial Aid and Scholarships, University Registrar, EM Communications, and Research & Analytics. The Office of Enrollment Management is committed to our Vision, Mission and Values. We are passionate about fulfilling our land-grant mission of accessible education and making an impact that will transform lives through the student experience.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as technical project leader/manager for the Division of Enrollment Management (EM) which includes Undergraduate Admissions, International Recruitment, Transfer Center, Financial Aid, Registrar, One Stop, Enrollment Research and Analytics, Enrollment Management Communications, EM Operations, and the Vice Provost’s Office. This position's role is to supervise and maintain the division's repository of software applications and integrations through best practices and the appropriate staffing and management of a technical team. This position is also responsible for planning and coordinating the processes and activities related to the development, delivery, and integration of software programs, applications, and potential third-party solutions as required to meet the division and the greater University's goals and requirements. This position will oversee the security setup and management for Banner, Argos, and OnBase systems, which are used campus-wide, and utilize queries and SQL to assist with maintenance and changes to security/access. This position will need to provide proven communication and problem-solving skills to guide and assist the division on issues related to the design, development, and deployment of mission-critical information and software systems.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in business or computer science
• 3 years minimum of managerial experience
• 2 to 3 years of technical support experience in a large, complex organization
• 2 to 3 years of system administration experience in complex multi-module systems
Preferred Education and Experience:
• 5 years minimum of managerial experience
• 4 to 5 years of technical support experience in a large university
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Technical knowledge and expertise of Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office products, SharePoint, Internet Native Banner Security, relational databases, SQL query language, Oracle databases, system administration, and project management.
• In-depth knowledge of Enrollment Management’s division operations and Office of Information Technology’s operations; general knowledge of the University's operations.
• Strong leadership, planning, organization, and communication (written and verbal), and critical thinking skills.
• Skilled at supporting various computer operating systems, imaging, word processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
• Skilled at auditing software system accounts.
• Strong reporting skills to inform division leaders to enable data driven decisions.
• Skilled at making customer focused decisions.
• Must be self-motivated and have ability to research, plan, coordinate, make decisions, and implement division projects without guidance from Assistant Vice Provost for Enrollment Management Operations.
• Ability to interact and communicate with University leaders, and departmental staff, vendors, and consultants (Soft skills).
• Ability to prioritize project goals, create project task list, assign and manage all tasks.
• Ability to define, research, and resolve issues quickly as they arise.
• Ability to build and maintain relationships with leaders and staff within Enrollment Management, Office of Information Technology, and other departments across campus.
• Ability to create and track useful key performance indicators for projects and division operations.
• Ability to create and implement customer focused solutions in purchased software packages.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge and experience with OnBase Imaging System, Argos Reporting System, RingCentral phone management console, and Internet Native Banner.
• Should be skillful in the art of advocacy to ensure EM's voice is heard in University-wide projects.
• Ability to build relationships within division and across campus to encourage collaboration to break down barriers.
• Ability to obtain staff buy-in and trust
• Ability to explain projects at granular and global levels
For full consideration, applicants must submit a cover letter detailing relevant experience along with a resume and the name, e-mail address, and telephone number of three to five professional references.