UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT
SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF OHIO
Announcement Number: 2021-03
Position Title: Automation Specialist/Programmer
Position Type: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Salary: CL 27 $53,760 - $87,394 (Based on experience and qualifications) Promotion potential to CL 28 without further advertisement or competition.
Open Date: April 12, 2021
Close Date Open until filled (preference given to applications received by May 12, 2021)
The United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio is hiring for the position of Automation Specialist/Programmer. This position is located in Cincinnati, Ohio and reports directly to the Director of IT. The Automation Specialist/Programmer coordinates and oversees the court’s local information technology network and writes code for the court website. The successful candidate will support the backend of the court unit’s IT systems, coordinate the timely repair of hardware, and implement plans and projects. The Automation Specialist/Programmer will deploy, configure, maintain, troubleshoot and monitor all active network equipment in order to ensure smooth and secure network operations. The Automation Specialist/Programmer will also, write code to specifications, document work, develop custom reports, prepare flow charts, and perform routine testing of coding.
- Design, configure, and implement network hardware and software. Develop standard guidelines for the use and acquisition of software. Plan, coordinate, implement, and test network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware. Monitor and optimize hardware, operating systems, and databases to improve system performance and reliability.
- Diagnose hardware and custom off-the-shelf software problems and replace defective components. Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, and all
- Recommend changes to improve systems and configuration, as well as determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes. Maintain network
- Develop and implement short-term and long-range automation improvement plans for the court unit, ensuring that the changes can be implemented with minimal disruption at the court site. Lead implementation and integration project teams, as required. Perform data
- Perform network security and user access maintenance including user setup and deletions, enterprise directory maintenance, network rights and permissions, group policy development and administration, installation and maintenance of anti-virus software, patch management, physical security, support of intrusion detection mechanisms and firewalls, and network security monitoring and remediation.
- Plan for disaster recovery operations and testing including network performance, security, anti-virus, intrusion, web usage/monitoring, design, and acquisition of
- Perform work related to designing, modifying, and adapting existing code of the court websites.
- Creates, maintains, and enhances Java, Perl, ASP, and Drupal data/form libraries and applications using a variety of web-based software.
- Provide daily system backup and regularly monitor operations of the network equipment and systems. Recommend and install updates to ensure continued operation and act as the technical expert in solving network and related computer system problems. Install security, operating system patches, and database software upgrades. Provide file server maintenance and troubleshoot problems with network
- Provide support and problem resolution to desktop, laptop, printer, smartphones, and tablet users. Prepare and maintain documentation for local networks as well as for systems acquired from outside the court or the Administrative Office. Prepare and maintain technical documentation for
- Advise management and users on specific information that can be readily extracted from existing files, extract information, and create reports as required. Configure, interconnect, troubleshoot, and ensure the reliable operation of local area networking switches and endpoints, virtual and physical. Assess, test, and deploy patches and updates to protect the security and enhance the operation of end user desktop and mobile systems. Analyze user needs.
- Research alternatives and proposes solutions. Coordinate hardware and software system installation and monitors equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met. Provide on- call support and perform helpdesk related duties. Respond to help desk calls and emails. Resolve routine and unusually difficult problems, including those that have been referred/escalated by peers. Provide information and assistance to users of email, word processing, and web-hosted data entry, as well as the full range of other application
- Identify and develop requirements for procurement of IT equipment and software to protect vulnerable information. Contact vendors when warranty or repair service is
- Travel periodically to divisional offices and potential travel outside the district for training.
- Perform other related duties or special projects and installments as
Compensation and classification level will be set based on the work experience, qualifications, and salary history of the successful candidate. A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field from an accredited college or university is preferred.
To qualify at the CL-27, the applicant must have a minimum of two years of specialized experience, including at least one-year equivalent to work at the lower level CL-25 or CL-26, or completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
To qualify at the CL-28, the applicant must have four years of specialized experience, including at least one-year equivalent to work at the CL-27.
Specialized experience is progressively responsible experience. The candidate should possess knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and usage of computer hardware and software, including knowledge of the following: office database design and data communications; capabilities, limitations, and functional applications of information technology; server operating systems, and workstation products; Local Area Networks (LANs) and Wide Area Networks (WANs), including systems security standards. Experience designing, implementing, programming, and maintaining operational systems or applications; performing system testing and analysis; and/or implementing system improvement initiatives, integrations, and updates. Experience working with Java, HTML, XML, Drupal, ASP, Perl, JDBC, ODBC, EJB servlets, JSP, or web-based applications.
Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. In addition, candidates should possess a commitment to learning and innovation, be flexible and able to adapt to constantly changing conditions, be self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized, present a professional demeanor, and possess the ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Ten (10) paid holidays
- Retirement benefits under the Federal Employees Retirement System
- Optional participation in the Federal Employee’s Health Benefits Program
- Optional participation in the Federal Employees Vision and Dental Insurance Program
- Optional participation in the Federal Employee’s Group Life Insurance Program
- Optional participation in the pre-tax flexible spending accounts program, including Health Care Reimbursement Account, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account
- Optional participation in the Thrift Savings Plan (pre-tax and/or after-tax retirement savings plan), including matching dollar for dollar for the first 3% contributed and 50 cents on the dollar for the next 2% contributed
- Optional participation in the Judiciary’s Long-Term Care Insurance program
- Employee Assistance Program (wellness program)
- Virtual Learning, including the Judicial Online University
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Applicant or eligible to work in the United States.
The selected candidate will be subject to a background check as a condition of employment with periodic updates every five years. Employment will be considered provisional until the background check is completed.
Employees must adhere to the Code of Conduct for Judicial Employees.
This position is subject to mandatory EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) participation for payment of net pay.
The court is a part of the Judicial Branch of the United States Government.
Employees of the court serve under “Excepted Appointment” and are considered “At-Will” employees.
Applicants to be interviewed may be asked to provide a list of references. Applicants selected for interview must travel at their own expense.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Only those applicants interviewed will be notified of the selection outcome.
The court is not authorized to reimburse the successful candidate for relocation expenses.
The court has the right to modify the conditions of this vacancy announcement, or withdraw this announcement, either of which may occur without prior written or other notice.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must email the following documents in PDF format:
- Cover Letter
- Form AO 78 Federal Judicial Branch Application for Employment; located on the court’s website at https://ohsb.uscourts.gov/job-vacancies-and-employment-application
Email the PDF documents to:
Please refer to Announcement #2021-03 in the subject line of your email transmittal.
THE UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.