Title: Systems Engineer/BigFix Administrator
Location: Bethesda, MD
Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
MSC is currently searching for a Systems Engineer/BigFix Administrator to provide comprehensive patching, release, and operations support for enterprise systems at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
• Provide systems engineering and architecture support to ongoing infrastructure operations and projects to maintain highly efficient networks of shared computing resources and data.
• Maintain hardware and software across all environments (physical, virtual, cloud) and all platforms (Windows, Linux, and Mac).
• Manage patching and software release distributions to servers and workstations using IBM BigFix; create and test packages prior to release.
• Deploy approved release packages and break-fix solutions in accordance with all enterprise architecture and configuration, change, and release management policies and procedures.
• Develop and maintain small software tools and custom scripts, using PowerShell, Visual Basic, and Wise, to automate repetitive tasks and improve user access to self-service options.
• Troubleshoot and resolve issues as required, and propose and implement changes aimed at continuous improvement.
• Draft user communication and issue email notifications to key stakeholders and the user community regarding environment changes, patches, and outages, both planned and unplanned.
• Break down, set up, and transport IT equipment during moves within and between government-owned or leased data centers and offices for relocation and/or surplus activities.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related business, scientific, or technical discipline
• Experience supporting Windows, Mac, and Linux systems in a complex research-based 24/7 enterprise environment
• Experience using IBM BigFix and other tools for software distribution and reporting to include
• creating custom fixlets in BigFix and deploying OEM and custom fixlets and actions across the full enterprise and administering BigFix Web UI
• Experience scripting solutions using PowerShell, Visual Basic, and/or Wise
• Knowledge of basic Windows command line executables and switches syntax
• Experience creating and modifying Microsoft Installer (MSI) packages
• Experience using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) to manage desktop and server deployments
• Experience managing Active Directory and other directory services, such as Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), SAML, and Kerberos
• Ability to effectively and confidently communicate – in writing and presentations – complex topics and procedures with team members and all levels of customer stakeholders
• Ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements with a flexible and creative approach to brainstorming, troubleshooting, and problem solving
• Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and propose multiple alternative solutions
• Experience with hardware and software for networking; distributed computing; virtualization; large-scale, high-performance storage systems; databases; telephony; and cloud computing
• Experience managing work using agile and ticketing systems such as JIRA and ServiceNow
• Applicable certifications to demonstrate technical competencies: Examples include certifications as those from CompTIA (A+, N+, Project+, Security+, etc.), ITIL v3, Apple, Linux, Microsoft, etc.
• Must meet all requirements for obtaining and maintaining a Public Trust Clearance
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
11300 Rockville Pike, Suite 1100 Rockville, MD, 20852