Description Job Description:
As part of the Medical Modeling, Simulation, and Mission Support Department at the Naval Health Research Center, and in collaboration with other scientific researchers, this person will perform studies and analyses with a focus on analysis of injuries to human anatomical structures due to combat-related incidents. This will include contributing to the implementation of a large, ongoing, research studies, conducting statistical analyses, drafting peer-reviewed manuscripts and presentations, and contributing to funding applications.Primary Responsibilities:
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Analyze current anatomical injury modeling and simulation capabilities within the Department of Defense
- Inform ways to design and conduct experimental tests to address gaps in current models and simulation.
- Assess the physical response of instrumentation used in testing of various loading schemes, including blast and impact.
- Examine and perform post-processing analysis techniques for high-rate blast data.
- Translate models with weapon-target interactions to casualty estimation.
- Assist in the development of anatomically accurate computational models for injury analysis
- Bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering, exercise physiology, kinesiology, computer science, or a related scientific field from an accredited college or university and two or more years of related experience is required.
- Strong technical writing background with an ability to write research proposals, human use protection protocols, technical reports, journal articles, and conference papers.
- Strong programming skills. Experience with software application design, development and testing. Offer innovative technical solutions; provide detailed estimations of effort and manage and track multiple simultaneous software efforts. Must be able to independently assess, suggest, and potentially develop program software applications for use in other research and data collection as operational military needs dictate.
- Experience in programming in at least one of the following languages: C#, C++, Python, or LUA and strong technical skills and demonstrated proficiency in advanced signal analysis using MATLAB, LabView, or similar software.
- Strong computer hardware and technical skills. Experience with electrical engineering, networking, and hardware components. Capable of setting up new devices or troubleshooting hardware.
- Solid background in human physiology, neurophysiology, and/or computational neurosciences.
- Ability to be a self-starter, act on objectives in an independent manner, demonstrate leadership, work independently in a team, and the ability to plan and prioritize work. Should possess strong customer service focus. Ability to interact positively and in a professional manner within a research oriented environment.
- Excellent critical thinking with problem-solving skills and an ability to work cooperatively in a team setting. Flexibility in responding to changing demands, timelines, and priorities. Ability to travel both within the U.S. and internationally.
- Strong communication skills. Be able to effectively communicate results of work to a variety of audiences including clinical, military and academic communities. Experience in technical documentation.
- Assist the Principal Investigators in managing local and outlying US Department of Defense collaborative relationships necessary for completion of project-specific milestones, specifically as it relates to software applications and programming.
- The candidate Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply. and must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance.
External Referral Bonus:
- Master's degree preferred
- Experience designing and implementing experiments with high technical sophistication in a military operational research setting.
- Previous experience with utilizing programming techniques to model physiologic parameters/responses to external events - such as blast overpressure, thermal heat, gases, etc.
- Previous experience in human subjects testing and working with clinical or military populations.
- Identify and perform appropriate statistical analyses such as multiple regression, analysis of variance/covariance, exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis, and latent variable modeling (e.g., structural equation modeling).
EligiblePotential for Telework:
NoClearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.