Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Medicine's Clinical Engineering Department is looking for a Biomedical Equipment Technician III
Working under limited supervision the Lead Biomedical Equipment Technician is responsible for assisting in maintaining equipment.
• Maintain, repair and calibrate patient care medical devices.
• Perform quality assurance inspections in accordance with applicable codes, standards, and manufacturer recommendations.
• Maintain vendor-recommended preventive maintenance program.
• Maintain a cost-effective inventory, utilizing second sources, of replacement materials required to service and maintain medical devices within the facilities.
• Maintain appropriate service and calibration documentation in accordance with applicable laws and standards.
• Assist with training of clinical personnel on user operation and maintenance of equipment, as needed.
• Recommend the use of outside service personnel, as required.
• Provide technical training to all other Biomedical Equipment Technicians (BMET) concerning patient care medical devices.
• Attend pertinent service and training seminars as required, to enhance skill level and decrease device operational costs, post warranty.
• Assist with equipment planning and pre-purchase evaluations of new equipment.
• Assist with the acceptance inspections, the relocation of existing, and with the installation of new equipment when required.
• Attend Biomedical Engineering Department (BME) Department and Medical Services Division staff meetings.
• Provide technical assistance and instruction to personnel regarding equipment operation and maintenance.
• Review outcome of preventive maintenance actions and make recommendations to department staff concerning improvements.
• Provide mentoring to other biomedical equipment technicians.
• May assist senior biomedical engineering technicians or supervisor with in-service educational programs on use of equipment.
• Provide operational leadership to personnel and possibly serve as temporary site manager in the absence of the director/manager/supervisor.
• Recommend new equipment and testing procedures.
• Provide in-service educational programs on use of equipment.
• Collaborate with Information Services to ensure Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance and connectivity of biomedical devices.
• Understand and comply with Joint Commission and other applicable standards and regulations.
• Special projects as assigned by Manager.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Associate's degree in Applied Science or related field preferred
• 4+ years of experience in the repair and maintenance of medical equipment required
Licenses, Registrations, and Certifications:
• AAMI certification preferred
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Must be capable of trouble-shooting bio-medical devices and related equipment
• Must possess knowledge about the proper use of diagnostic tools, test equipment and software, where applicable
• Experience working with medical hardware, software and equipment products required
• Must understand medical device usage within a health system environment
• Strong customer service orientation and ability to follow through issues to resolution.
• Ability to interact with all levels of Health System personnel to include: management staff, consulting staff, clinicians, clinical administrators, etc.
• Familiarity with process improvement activities required
• Knowledge of healthcare operations and the use of medical technology in the practicing healthcare environment required
• Must be able to function as part of a team providing a high level of quality service to clients
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work. However, in the near future this position will require full or partial on-site work.
Be a part of the exciting and ground-breaking upcoming years for the Penn Medicine Information Services department!
Because growth is essential to continuing to meet the current and future needs of patients, Penn Medicine continues to expand its capabilities.
Penn Medicine's Information Services (IS) Department focuses its efforts on the clinical and financial systems that support the day-to-day operations of four hospitals, several satellite practices, and more than 2,000 physicians.
Learn more about Information Services
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Penn Medicine http://www.pennmedicine.org/careers/
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.