Office: Washington, D.C. / New York
Department: Information Technology (Firmwide)
Reports to: Director of Application Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: Core Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required to fulfill responsibilities
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the general supervision and direction of the Director of Application Development and the Business Analysis and Solutions Manager, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Business Analyst is responsible for ensuring the successful delivery of technology solutions to practice groups and administrative departments. The Business Analyst is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Business Analyst must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Partner with practice groups and administrative departments to identify business problems and technology solutions to those problems.
- Utilize project management protocols and standards to achieve specific goals.
- Take the lead in defining, analyzing and documenting requirements, and manage requirements at the project level with internal IT, practice group teams and/or administrative departments.
- Manage project scope to ensure timely delivery and to avoid surprises, and manage the change control process during the project.
- Communicate with colleagues within the IT team to ensure understanding of the needs of the practice groups and administrative departments, and that teams are working together to deliver solutions in line with expectations.
- Leverage new and existing solutions across groups where applicable.
- Provide or coordinate primary technical support and ownership of practice applications and systems.
- Foster a culture of innovation by sharing lessons learned with other Business Analysts and the IT team.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Understanding of systems engineering concepts
- Ability to conduct cost/benefit analyses
- Ability to develop and document business cases
- Sound grasp of modeling techniques and methods
- Demonstrated understanding of software development life cycle process
- Demonstrated understanding of project management best practices and ability to create and use project plans to manage workload
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Proven ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Proven ability to maintain and update technical knowledge and skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high ethical standards and strict confidentiality of all information on the network
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including communicating with diplomacy, discretion and tact
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, management and outside business partners
- Commitment to teamwork
- Strong analytical, creative problem solving and process improvement skills
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development, including to attain and maintain expert competency in assigned areas of technology
- Availability for occasional travel
- Facility with SQL and Power BI are a plus
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree required (Computer Science or equivalent preferred)
- A minimum of five years of experience in a senior application support role
- Prior experience in a law firm or other professional services firm preferred