The Business Development and Capture Director assists in achieving Sparksoft’s U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) contracting growth goals by leading sales activities and the full lifecycle of business development and capture from researching, tracking, and qualifying new opportunities to building relationships with current/prospect clients and strategic partners, and overseeing all bid activities to ensure quality, compliant and compelling proposals are submitted on time. The ideal candidate is a proven leader with established client relationships and intimate knowledge at HHS proper or in one or more of the following Operating Divisions (OpDivs): Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), Office of Chief Information Officer (OCIO), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Indian Health Service (IHS), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Office of Medicare Hearings and Appeals (OMHA), Administration for Children and Families (ACF), Administration for Community Living (ACL), Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR).
- Provide sales and marketing support to meet growth targets for the HHS account throughout the agency.
- Maintain a qualified pipeline that consistently generates new revenue. Provide real-time updates in Sparksoft’s CRM system and during pipeline review meetings for intel sharing across BD team.
- Practice mature BDLC via CRM and disciplined gate reviews for data-driven decisions on IDIQ, BPA, TORP, RFP, RFI, SSN, etc., responses.
- Manage and execute capture activities, along with technical solution and proposal content development.
- Enhance corporate brand through marketing to position the organization favorably with prospective staff, partners and customers.
- Foster trust and rapport with the customer and partners by understanding driving factors and pressures. Establish strategic relationships with key industry partners and client decision makers.
- Identify opportunities for growth and contribute to meeting/exceeding all corporate targets and recompetes.
- Conduct market research and client development activities to gather intelligence, promote Sparksoft’s capabilities, and facilitate opportunity identification and bidding process.
- Drive unsolicited sales opportunities through specific solution presentations and building relationships with government stakeholders.
- Monitor Sparksoft’s contract vehicles and procurement sites to identify and create a robust pipeline of existing and future contracting opportunities.
- Evaluate and qualify solicitations and lead opportunity briefs to facilitate bid/no bid gate reviews.
- Participate in creating a winning capture strategy for each opportunity including informing price to win strategies, researching competition, selecting teaming partners and subcontractors, identifying and proposing key personnel, developing a staffing model, etc.
- Lead proposal kickoff meetings and facilitate flow of competitive intelligence with all partners.
- Collaborate with other SMEs to solicit capture information and develop win themes and differentiators that clearly articulate a winning strategy, compelling solutions and a convincing executive summary.
- Manage all staff involved in the proposal development process. Provide detailed guidance to bid teams, subcontractors, and other proposal contributors to obtain quality writing assignments and pricing on time. Identify and track proposal risks and coordinate escalation and resolution.
- Leas proposal color team reviews, editing, illustration, and final proposal production efforts to ensure compliance, clear and concise writing, and consistent “one-voice” style for a polished finish.
- Participate in industry days, conferences, and other trade shows to cultivate HHS contacts and strategic partners relationships.
- Contribute to the development and continuous improvement or business development and proposal management processes, tools, templates, and library.
- Ensure all key performance metrics, including qualified opportunities, submission rate, win rate, revenue generated, customer satisfaction are monitored and maintained on a regular basis.
- Conduct after action reviews with all business opportunity capture participants to document lessons learned and identify necessary adjustments to capture technique, strategy, and actions.
- Execute and manage purchase requisitions of tools, training, and other consulting resources to support BD activities.
- Assist recruiting/HR with identifying strategic hires, interviewing, and training new resources.
- Adhere to all corporate policies and processes, including timelines and milestones.
- Utilize highly persuasive communication skills for online facilitation, public speaking, and presentations.
- Earn trust and respect from management, peers and partners through consistently transparent and honest communication.
- Grow HHS, BD and capture expertise by attended industry events, seminars and conferences.
- 5+ years hand-on experience in government contracting, business development, and capture.
- 3+ years’ experience solutioning and writing proposals for HHS/OpDivs bids.
- 3+ years technical experience with proven development of Health IT solutions.
- 3+ years program management experience and weekly client interaction at HHS/OpDivs.
- Advanced knowledge of HHS/OpDivs data, policies, applications, programs, stakeholders, operations, contractors, competitive landscape, challenges, vision, buying preferences, etc.
- Familiarity with Federal Enterprise Architecture, HHS/OpDivs Technical Architecture and Authorization to Operate standards, models, tools and processes
- Experience with Shipley BDLC best-practices and industry-standard pipeline management CRM tools.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with proven abilities to develop high quality, winning proposals.
- Proven ability to analyze target opportunities against organizational capabilities to continuously refine and qualify the pipeline.
- Must have strong partner value proposition valuation and negotiating skills.
- Superior Project Management skills to manage multiple, concurrent projects, shifting priorities, tight deadlines, and coordinate multiple parties to achieve a common objective, while managing risks.
- Patience and people skills with ability to work in a time-sensitive environment to achieve effective progress, anticipate problems, and meet all deadlines.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of U.S. Government contracting processes, including FAR.
- Understanding of contract types such as FFP, T&M, CPFF, etc, as well as GSA Schedules and GWACs, IDIQs, BPAs, etc…
- Experience with executing contracts such as NDA, Teaming Agreements, CTA, JV/MPP, MSA, 1099 consulting agreements, subcontracting agreements, etc, with meticulous attention to details in terms and conditions, and risk assessment.
- Proven track record in managing and motivating cross-functional proposal teams using proven processes, including strategic planning, market analysis, competitive intel, teaming, Pwin and PTW analysis, and proposal development lifecycle.
- Understanding of Federal market, trends, competitive pressures, and regulatory constraints.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, be a team player, and be well organized and efficient with excellent judgment, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Exceptional marketing and presentation skills to articulate solutions and garner buy-in from various internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively across multiple disciplines with a strong, open, and collaborative leadership style.
- Confident, self-starter, proactive – skilled in taking initiative, assessing requirements, coming up with plans, and taking the lead in making plans reality.
- A high level of energy with a results-driven attitude in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates a high degree of adaptability, comfortable in establishing new directions, managing rapid change, and trying different approaches to deal with uncharted territories.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive, productive relationships with peers, colleagues, managers, consultants, and clients.
- Comfortable and experienced operating in an outcome-oriented environment.
- Experience working in a small business and wearing multiple hats.
Education/Years of Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in technical writing, business administration, engineering, computer science, IT, or equivalent.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Management is preferred.
- Certification as a PMP, Agile, or SAFe, or a relevant technical certification is desired.
- Experience as a sales representative or member of a capture team, in a leadership capacity.
Sparksoft is a certified Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) SVC and DEV Level 3, ISO 9001:2015, ISO 27001:2013, HUBZone, 8(a), Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB), Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB), and Small, Women-owned, Minority-owned (SWaM), and MBE/DBE/SBE consulting firm. With our focused mission “to ignite innovation, inspire transformation, and implement digital solutions for a healthier nation”, we specialize in 6 specific digital health services: Test Automation, Cloud Services, DevOps Delivery, Cyber Security, Data Science, and Human-Centered Design. Since 2004, our exceptionally skilled people, proven leadership, and optimized processes all work together relentlessly to continuously push for more efficient solutions.
Sparksoft is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws.