Benton PUD is seeking an experienced, highly analytical and creative applicant with strong data skills that complement their development skills. This position will have the opportunity to design and build out data flows to support the vision of transforming critical information into solid business decisions utilizing the District’s ETL, database tools and business intelligence software. The work is diverse and challenging, and the size of the organization allows for innovation and creativity working within a small data team.
The preferred candidate will have experience with SQL, SSIS, C#, SQL Server, Tableau, data analysis, requirements gathering and data mining. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of Kimball’s dimension modeling techniques and electric utility operations as well as have a passion for working with data. This position is located in Kennewick, WA and is ineligible for remote work; however, we offer work/life balance options including alternative and hybrid work schedules.
The successful candidate will be placed appropriate to their education, experience and ability to perform the specific position accountabilities. Target range for BI/ETL Developer II: $3,096.85 to $3,686.73 biweekly
Target range for BI/ETL Developer III: $3,406.54 to $4,055.42 biweekly
The primary purpose of this position is to create optimized data flows utilizing our current and future data architecture to build data solutions and visualizations. The BI/ETL developer will support the Data Architect, BI ETL/Developer, BI Analyst and department data champions to provide data needs to meet use case requirements for data visualizations. This position will create and enhance ETL SSIS packages to move data into data marts in our SQL Server Data Warehouse as well as use programming/database techniques like data virtualization to provide access to real time data. This position will contribute to learning and expanding the data architecture, data standards and provide research and recommendations on new techniques.
- Support the District's mission to serve our customers and foster a positive workplace by personally choosing behavior aligned with our values and ethical code.
- Create data flows by sourcing data from multiple disparate sources utilizing Web Services, SSIS packages, API’s and SQL. This includes understanding and working with JSON and XML data.
- Support design solutions by utilizing data tools for data profiling and data mining.
- Support the enterprise data analytics architecture by performing management, administration, upgrades, troubleshooting and resolving issues.
- Support the District’s SQL Server database environments by performing all required database administration tasks.
- Support the District BI platform by designing, building and deploying Data visualization solutions, managing security, scheduling extracts, subscriptions and alerts as well as performing any other duties required to manage the BI Server application.
- Ensure SSIS packages are thoroughly tested by providing reliable error/exception handling and rollback framework, performing unit testing, system integration testing and assist with user acceptance testing.
- Maintain data integrity and data quality by developing ETL code, data standards, data dictionaries, diagrams (data flow, data warehouse, ETL, and interface), entity relationship models, reports, schedules, work processes and maintenance procedures; assist in reviewing SQL explain plans, creating and writing database functions as needed.
- Recommend Data Architecture and Data standards enhancements and changes by researching technically assigned tasks.
- Ensure reliable applications by promoting system changes to production environments in accordance with the approved District Configuration Change Management process, monitoring application performance and availability, and troubleshooting and tuning programs.
- Collaborate with BI Analysts, BI/ETL Developers, Data Champions, Applications Analysts Specialists and subject matter experts by leading or assisting in the definition and execution of cross-functional data movements for all aspects of District business.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned to meet team, department and organization goals.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS:
BI/ETL Developer II
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related area
- Three (3) to four (4) years' experience with a working knowledge of databases (SQL Server, Oracle)
- Three (3) to four (4) years programming experience with related technology such as ETL development, Object-oriented programming language, web services development and SQL skills.
BI/ETL Developer III
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related area
- Five (5) to seven (7) years' experience with a solid understanding of databases (SQL Server, Oracle)
- Five (5) to seven (7) years programming experience with related technology such as ETL development, Object-oriented programming language, web services development and SQL skills.
A BA/BS is preferred; however, substitution is allowed for those with an approved job-related certification and at least an AA degree, with two (2) additional years of directly related experience
Prefer recognized certificates in programming languages indicated
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Intermediate or advanced skills in two or more of the following: ETL development, Object-oriented programming language, web services development, SQL, Python and BI data visualization development
- Understanding and experience with SQL Server and/or Oracle Database structures
- Working knowledge of Data Marts and Data Warehouse technologies and concepts
- Working knowledge of Windows and LINUX server environments
- Intermediate or Advanced skills in web services development
- Working knowledge of JSON, XML, REST and/or SOAP
- Working knowledge of Relational and Dimensional Data Modeling, ETL and BI tools (preferably Kimball Techniques)
- Intermediate skills and experience with writing complex SQL for data analytics
- Basic skills in PL/SQL, TSQL and scripting (Bash, Powershell, etc.)
- Experience performing basic database administration duties
- Perform data documentation
- Ability to debug and trace program execution
- Ability to stay informed on new technologies and to apply training and experience to solve business problems
- Working knowledge of system analysis, programming, and application design
- Troubleshooting skills including using multiple resources to search for problem resolution
- Experience in developing and executing test plans
- Experience with code version control
- Attendance: Consistent need to attend work at the job site or work location. Frequent or constant need for punctuality.
- Physical Effort: Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Environment: Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Hazards: Most of the time is spent in general office or equivalent conditions.
- Sensory Attention: Typically requires regular use of one or more senses of medium intensity and long duration.
- Job Pressure/Deadline Orientation: Under regular pressure to meet deadlines, quotas and/or must occasionally deal with unpleasant issues related to people or situations.