This position is responsible for managing the Business Intelligence team for SPIE. This includes managing all phases of development in a dynamic organization with diverse and challenging IT requirements. The successful candidate will work as a team manager, individually, and as part of a broader IT team to improve the Business Intelligence for critical IT services and maximize the value created from the organization’s investment in technology and people. Work will include general management and planning responsibilities, including budgeting and project management as well as design, development, testing, roadmap planning and vendor management for outsourced services. This person will also provide operational support to other departments and teams as required in support of business objectives.
Uphold core SPIE values by consistently demonstrating customer focus, collaboration, inclusivity, continuous improvement, innovation and building communities.
Continue to develop professionally by seeking and undertaking opportunities for personal growth.
Work with others in a spirit of teamwork to leverage diverse skills and achieve desirable outcomes through fairness, cooperation, respect, and active participation in cross-departmental efforts.
Lead by example. Model respect, reliability, positive attitude and conflict resolution. Demonstrate a strong work ethic, sincerity and fairness. Accept responsibility and learn from mistakes. Use a positive attitude to build a positive work environment.
Ensure training is up to date and current.
Contribute to and adhere to SPIE policy.
Perform other duties as needed for SPIE success.
1. Develop short and long-term plans and targets that align department or project goals with overall SPIE business goals and strategies. This includes identifying environmental context, developing timelines, budgets and assignments, and defining relevant, specific, meaningful, and business driven targets. Make adjustments if resource, timing or targets change.
2. Coordinate effectively by consulting with other as appropriate, escalating issues when necessary, and maintaining the broader view of SPIE success in all actions.
3. Execute effectively and drive toward target completion by establishing collaborative relationships, providing appropriate direction and guidance to contributors, improving management processes and systems. Achieve workgroup targets.
Initiate progress by identifying issues, implementing solutions and resolving conflicts. This requires situational awareness, anticipating and identifying problems, proposing solutions and instigating meaningful change.
Communicate effectively and establish collaborative relationships by actively listening, clear communication of decisions, sharing organizational priorities and developments, and soliciting feedback from other stakeholders. 2. Develop, engage, inspire and assist employees to achieve their best performance through strength building, developmental opportunities, holding people accountable, providing timely reviews, recognizing performance, and holding difficult conversations when necessary.
3. Delegate effectively, support self-directed work and provide coaching by selecting the right person and timelines, knowing and utilizing strengths while mitigating weaknesses, retaining accountability but encouraging others to participate in the tasks.
4. Practice self-awareness, self-control, empathy, and adapt to emotional factors as necessary to achieve goals.
Demonstrate knowledge of, and ability to apply policies and procedures. Address violations immediately and directly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Work closely with the IT Directors and executives to define product direction.
2. Work closely with product managers to ensure solutions meet or exceed customer requirements. This includes ensuring that BI designs are well documented and communicated.
3. Provide sound decision making and escalation for engineering and product development, sensitive to the constraints and needs of the business
4. Drive overall development of data warehouses, data cubes, business systems solutions, and BI user experience.
5. Leverage the latest technologies for business intelligence (including SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Reporting Services (SSRS), advanced SQL/TSQL, ERP systems and user experience design) to meet business needs.
6. Monitor technology trends such as emerging standards for new technology opportunities
7. Develop and execute business plans and manage schedules and resource allocation and budget. This includes managing joint development with 3rd party vendors and managing outsourced development.
8. Ensure, and assist in the creation of needed processes, practices and operations to ensure reproducible development and high quality, while keeping costs under control
9. Engage in hands-on, in-depth analysis, review, and design of the software, including technical review and analysis of code. May include reviews of in-house developed code, as well as reviews of technologies provided by 3rd party vendors.
10. Develop Business Intelligence solutions as an individual contributor
Other Duties and Responsibilities
1. Perform other duties as needed, upon request.
1. Data modeling, including proficiency with RDBMS, star-schema, and other data warehousing concepts. ETL experience with large (100GB+, 1M+ Rows) databases.
2. Technical abilities in deploying N-Tiered, web-enabled, data warehousing/decision support systems.
3. Technical knowledge of data formats and interfaces (XML / ADO / ODBC / JDBC).
4. Strong analytical and statistical skills.
5. At least five years’ experience working with Microsoft SQL Reporting Services or equivalent.
6. At least five years’ experience working with Microsoft SQL Analysis Services or equivalent
7. Strong experience with Microsoft platforms required
8. Experience with networking architecture and protocols such as SNMP, HTTP, SOAP, SOA-Web Services.
9. Experience with secure coding practices
10. Demonstrated successful delivery of complex organizational projects, on time, and within budget.
11. Successful working with individuals from a variety of experiences, including those with diverse technical skillset.
12. Strong work ethic – someone who loves to produce great work and takes great pride in professionalism, responsibility, and proactiveness.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Excellent communication skills. Must be able to provide guidance and leadership to IT staff in areas of expertise and to communicate effectively to management.
Excellent problem-solving skills with attention to details. Methodical, thorough, and creative.
Leadership skills capable of motivating teams to perform at the highest level.
Excellent conflict resolution skills
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in CS, MIS or equivalent, relevant experience required.
Five years of project management experience required, including experience managing teams of at least ten individuals and budgets exceeding $500,000.
Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience required.
Working with medium to large non-profit organizations desired.
Prioritization of work based on overall enterprise-wide objectives, department goals, and needs.