Candidates across US can apply but Locals to UT are preferred!
It will be a 6 months contract and depending on the performance the candidate would be hired on fulltime basis (C2H). Then the project duration would be extended to around 5 years.
Assist with the development of a prototype of moving a COBOL application off of IBM’s Z/os platformer to the windows environment utilizing a distribute COBOL development tool such as Micro Focus COBOL.
- Writes and/or modifies computer programs based on prepared specifications and according to IS published standards. Writes and compiles the source code and resolves logical or syntax errors utilizing COBOL.
- Performs the necessary research to resolve technical questions that arise from coding and testing programs. Tests programs to ensure they function according to the program specifications. Assists analysts in system testing as required. Participates in walk-through sessions with team members, as necessary, to evaluate program effectiveness and conformance to IS standards.
- Assists in the documentation of programs. Prepares program documentation of data requirements according to published IS standards.
- Knowledge of Micro Focus Enterprise Developer a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (KSA)
- Minimum required programming languages of COBOL and JCL.
- Application development for customizations, interfaces and reports.
- Relational Database Technologies, DB2 and Microsoft SQL Server
- VSAM Files
- Database design principles
Skills and Abilities to:
- Provide quality customer service and effective public relations
- Write maintainable code that conforms to organization standards
- Debug job specific complex problems
- Independently research technical issues
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally
- Follow verbal and written instructions
- Think logically and systematically, effectively apply general principles to specific conditions, and solve complex problems
- Effectively apply general principles to specific conditions
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THIS POSITION
Applicants should clearly document their experience in designing and developing COBOL applications. All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.