The Cloud DevOps Engineer is responsible for automation and orchestration aspects of solution delivery. The Cloud DevOps Engineer’s planning, coordination and execution spans across multiple disciplines in order to develop robust, holistic solutions for the business as a whole. The Cloud DevOps Engineer performs a wide variety of tasks, including recommending and architecting new technology solutions, defining configuration standards, designing modularized deployment in the interest of automation, and identifying opportunities for efficiency.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Cloud DevOps Engineer, this role is responsible for overall selection, delivery, and ongoing management of a cloud-enabled, multi-tenant Automation/Orchestration solution. This position is responsible for the development and documentation of standard automation architectures and frameworks, working in coordination with Compliance, Architecture, Operations, Applications, IT, and other internal groups. This includes leading problem analysis, solutions development and implementation, and decision making that will have significant impact on Cloud Solutions offerings. Additional activities include gap analysis, vendor product evaluations, current systems maintenance, and new system implementations.
The Cloud DevOps Engineer will be expected to be able to effectively manage their time and demonstrate innovative approaches to solving the unique challenges encountered.
The ideal candidate will have in-depth experience in the following areas:
- 5+ years of experience in Automation, Orchestration, and Configuration Management mechanisms and concepts, including hands-on experience with products such as Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, or Chef
- Hands-on Public Cloud (IaaS) – One or more of AWS, Google, Azure, OCI, etc.
- Multi-Tenant with a centralized management/administration mindset
- Infrastructure, Network, and Application Security best-practices, including the secure transport and storage of sensitive/private data
- Experience with CI/CD
- Experience with Docker and Docker orchestration products is a plus
- 3-5+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Multi-tenant environments with resource isolation
- Software-Defined Infrastructure (AWS APIs for EC2, for example)
- AWS Serverless Applications (Lambda, Dynamo, Event sources)
- Scripting skills (python, ruby, perl, etc.)
- Linux and Windows OS knowledge
- Code management and versioning via GitHub, GitLab, or other code repository
- Familiarity with operating in a 24x7x365 High-Availability environment
- Familiarity with cloud concepts related to security, networking, self-healing architecture, SOA, APIs, and automation are pluses
- Familiarity with DevOps and Agile Delivery concepts a plus
- Write new Terraform code and improve existing codebase to help automate and accelerate team velocity.
- Research, recommend and implement changes to standards and procedures to enhance automation/orchestration capability
- Work with the SCALR® platform to improve awareness of automation capabilities, policies, and best practices
- Develop OPA policies (Rego language) that secures infrastructure code according to company requirements
- Identify process and control weaknesses, and develop recommendations and plans to remedy inefficiencies in procedures and standards
- Evaluate new products, service offerings, and new internal applications to ensure that automation assets are handled in accordance with the organization’s information policies and quality standards
- Ensure all automation updates are made in a timely, accurate manner such that interruptions to production environments do not occur
- Contribute to our scale goals by identifying areas for improvement that can lead to higher efficiency
- Use your daily interactions with the engineering team to gain and expand your experience with our platform, expand and improve your skills and constantly improve our environment
- Be a part of the daily standups of engineering squads and maintain close relationship with developers and their daily work
- Be proactive and take ownership in identifying, raising, and resolving issues or deficiencies you see
- Work closely with a team lead to ensure our codebase is efficient, consistent and bug-free
- Must be able to manage projects, resources, and time effectively
- Strong ability to carry out assigned administrative tasks with limited oversight
- Holistic Systems Thinking – must be able to envision how all parts of a solution interact with each other, existing systems architecture, and the solution itself
- Ability to think “outside the box” when developing solutions
- Research, compare and evaluate software and hardware – full life cycle, from initial search to install, configuration, process development, and delivery
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions and participates in meetings.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Ability to follow policies and procedures. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time.
- Display willingness to make decisions. Exhibit sound and accurate judgment. Support and explain reasoning for decisions.
- Demonstrates leadership and foster collaborative team approach – interacts well with front line and management providing consultation and expert advice on systems related topics
- Ability to communicate effectively with other employees, from executives to co-workers, within and across teams
- Ability to document and present information in a clear and concise manner to cross-operational teams and to executive management
- Ability to create Lucid and PowerPoint presentations that clearly communicate concepts, details, solutions, and business justification
- Short-term and Long-term strategic planning of the organization’s technology and solutions
- Promote cost reduction and efficiency by leveraging the latest “best-fit” technology
- Develop and/or adjust processes to evolve with business and demand
- Evaluate and recommend improvements to lifecycle processes
- Proactively investigate and suggest the use of new technologies that help with gaining efficiencies and/or increase ROI in new technology initiatives
- Recommend new technology solutions and implement strategies to drive cloud-based productivity
- Participate in new technology implementation projects in an Advisor capacity
- Research new technologies that will give Sierra-Cedar the competitive edge in the market
Sierra-Cedar delivers industry-focused client success by providing consulting, technical, and managed services for the deployment, management, and optimization of next-generation applications and technology. We offer a competitive benefits package including 401(k), Health, Disability, and Life. Sierra-Cedar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.